Chaining it down ?

/ Chaining it down ? #1  

pdqford

Tractor
John Deere 2520
Newbie here, with new to me 2520.

Thinking that I might need to trailer my 2520 w/FEL next week, how do you guys secure the 2520/2720 to the trailer?

Chains or ratchet straps?

And where on the 2520 do you hook the chains/straps?

Thanks for any advice..........................

/ Chaining it down ? #2  
I prefer a 4 point tie down with chains, and ratchet strap for the FEL.

2 chains to the rear axle, 2 chains to the front axle.

With this procedure, even if the trailer flips, the tractor should still be secured to the trailer. :thumbsup:

/ Chaining it down ? #3  
I prefer a 4 point tie down with chains, and ratchet strap for the FEL.

2 chains to the rear axle, 2 chains to the front axle.

With this procedure, even if the trailer flips, the tractor should still be secured to the trailer. :thumbsup:

Plus this the legal way to do it.

MarkV

/ Chaining it down ? #4  
   / Chaining it down ? #5  
When I reviewed the laws for how to tie down a tractor is did not specify chains or ratchet straps. It did specify what ever you are using has to have a working limit half that of the object being tied down.

If the tractor is under 10,000 lbs, then it can be tied down with one chain/strap up front and one in the back. So having two up front and two in the back is legal.

That being said I use four points of contact from tractor to trailer with chains. I have two 15 or 20 foot chains, one chain for the front and one for the back. The chain hook hooks to the frame and the binder hooks to the trailer, the slack is on the trailer and use the same chain on the other side. It essentially makes two chains out of one chain. A bit over kill but I don't want the tractor coming off in the event of an accident. I did haul it around for a long time with straps, but they started to wear so I upgraded to the chains.

Happy trailering.

/ Chaining it down ?
Thanks for the advice, guys.
(I'm off to get more chain :thumbsup:)

/ Chaining it down ? #7  
My 3720 has a pair of attachment points, one on either side of the drawbar. I use both to double chain the rear of the tractor to the rear of the trailer, driving the tractor forward til they're taut. Up front I use a single chain wrapped around the axle housing, which I tighten to the front of the trailer with a lever type chain binder.

//greg//

/ Chaining it down ? #8  
I use the two holes on the brush guard in the front. And in the back the main supports in the back on each side there is just enough room to slip in a set of hooks on each side between the tire and tractor.

Oh, and I prefer straps, but cheap straps can have issues with stretching. I use a 10,000# break rated strap that has a 3000#+ working limit.

Also I recommend at least 4 tie down points in case of a failure with a tie down no matter what your state may say is legal/required. Chances are you don't have insurance that will cover replacement of the tractor in the event that it would fall of the trailer. Even if financed through JD I was told it would only cover the loan balance and your vehicle insurance is typically only liability.

Attachments

• IMG_20120518_112254.jpg
    IMG_20120518_112254.jpg
    813.7 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_20120518_112315.jpg
    IMG_20120518_112315.jpg
    883.2 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_20120518_112328.jpg
    IMG_20120518_112328.jpg
    959.9 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_20120518_112403.jpg
    IMG_20120518_112403.jpg
    933.8 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:
   / Chaining it down ? #9  
I always have my loader on and I have chain hooks on the bucket. I use a single chain and run from floor ring #1 to bucket and again from ring #2 to opposite side of bucket. I suppose in the big picture I should probablt cross them but this works. I also use a couple of pieces of wood under the bucket to protect the floor. I back the tractor up until tight and set the brake.

At the rear I have a clevis in the rear hitch and loop through in a V pattern. I use a binder to secure.

/ Chaining it down ?
Thanks again, megaboz and KennedyDiesel, for the details of the attachment points. Pictures ARE worth a thousand words :licking: