4200 front axle leak

/ 4200 front axle leak #1  

sherrgott

Tractor
John Deere 4200
I just bought a 2000 JD 4200 with 650 hours and needed to add 2 1/2 qts fluid to the front axle. I was working with it recently and needed to use 4 wd. I parked it in the garage when finished and a few hours later came out and noticed a lake of oil under the right front wheel. Previous to that I had a small puddle under that wheel after I had added the oil about three weeks earlier, but nothing after that. I checked the manual and found three seals in the hub system, Which could be bad and how difficult is it to replace one? Any special tools required? I'm mechanically savvy but is this a job best left to the Green Superman?

/ 4200 front axle leak #2  
:welcome: to the forum.
A search here on TBN will bring up the subject of seals as well as discussion of changing the seals. Will depend on your seal "skills" but doable IMO. I'd suggest getting the tech manual for help and for any additional activity you plan to DIY in the future. They are well written, come on CD or paper.

Also, the axle needs to be vented, and I do it by leaving the dipstick on my 4300 a bit loose. Otherwise, the oil heats and blows out through the seals. Might have caused yours to leak and just got worse.

/ 4200 front axle leak #3  
check your private messages

and WELCOME!!

/ 4200 front axle leak #4  
Is this a common problem with this model?I have the same problem,same side.The previous owner had these replaced and they just started leaking after a few hours of use.

/ 4200 front axle leak
Good question. Now the other side is weeping, too. Sometimes I park it and nothing leaks out, other times there's a puddle. Good waste of expensive lube. A friend of mine suggested seal treatment. Willing to try it but will check if my JD dealer has one. The kinds in auto stores is for engines trans not for this heavy weight lube. Who knows, maybe there is something out there that works.

/ 4200 front axle leak #6  
Is this a common problem with this model?I have the same problem,same side.The previous owner had these replaced and they just started leaking after a few hours of use.

Sounds like the installer did a poor job.