New to me 2305

/ New to me 2305 #1  

traveling fisher

Tractor
John deere
Engine is rated at 3000 RPM. Does everyone work at 3000 except for the PTO at 2900? Or do you sometimes work at lower RPM's? My JD 445, gas, works at top speed for the engine. Full throttle while towing or mowing.
Thanks

/ New to me 2305 #2  
Hi TF and congratulations on your great new 2305. I had one before my 2520.

With any tractor, I only run the engine RPM fast enough to get the task at hand accomplished. I'm almost never anywhere close to PTO rpm except when running a PTO implement.

/ New to me 2305
Thanks, that's what I thought but I have hills and going up hill, with an empty loader, the machine sound was different when running at lower RPM. I thought I was running the engine too slow, thus my question. I don't notice it at higher RPM but will try to get exact numbers for reference.

/ New to me 2305 #4  
Dealer told me to run my scut at the rated rpm's (3,300) but I don't unless it's needed.

I'm usually around 2,200-2,500 for most duties unless I'm just travelling from A to B.

/ New to me 2305 #5  
We only run ours at full RPM when mowing, otherwise just like our other HSTs, enough to do the work at hand.

/ New to me 2305 #6  
Engine is rated at 3000 RPM. Does everyone work at 3000 except for the PTO at 2900? Or do you sometimes work at lower RPM's? My JD 445, gas, works at top speed for the engine. Full throttle while towing or mowing.
Thanks

I generally run mine somewhere between 1,500 and 2,000 rpm when I'm using the FEL. When using a PTO attachment I run at the PTO speed.

/ New to me 2305 #7  
I run my 3320 at about 1600 rpms, even doing things like tilling. I only run PTO (540 rpms) when bush hogging. Even with the Back hoe on I only run about 1800.
When I had my smaller tractors I did the same thing. Less wear and tear and better fuel economy. My machine uses a lot more fuel comparatively when I'm running at 2500 rpms.

I only increase the rpms when the engine is starting to labor. What you don't want to do is push the engine when it's laboring. If you notice the rpms dropping when your working, either slow down or up the rpms. pushing an engine when it's laboring is hard on the main bearings even in a beefy diesel.

Rob

/ New to me 2305 #8  
One could argue that 1600 is a little low for working a small diesel. I use 1600 sometimes, but I find the engine and everything else seem happier at 1800-2200, even for light chores and moving around...I think at that point it is personal preference. I have read several articles on lugging and loading of the engine, so just prefer to keep mine up a little more...

/ New to me 2305 #9  
I think for trucks the 'sweet spot' for fuel economy etc is peak torque, not sure what that is on these engines. And I am by no means a mechanic or anything...

/ New to me 2305 #10  
One could argue that 1600 is a little low for working a small diesel. I use 1600 sometimes, but I find the engine and everything else seem happier at 1800-2200, even for light chores and moving around...I think at that point it is personal preference. I have read several articles on lugging and loading of the engine, so just prefer to keep mine up a little more...

I don't know where I read it but I believe that Deere advises 1600 and above to keep carbon from forming. Your engine might run nicer at 18 to 22 and I understand that. I wouldn't go below the 16 I use though as problems could occur over a long term.
I haven't looked up the max torque point on my engine but the nice thing about diesels is their broad torque curve.

Rob