John Deere 870

/ John Deere 870 #1  

yandeereguy

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 950 2wd John Deere 870 MFWD, John Deere F525 mower, John Deere F725 mower, John Deere F510 mower, John Deere Lx172 mower
I have an 870 and my front left tire has locked up on me completely, it's a 4x4 machine and the wheel won't turn either direction. This is gonna get pricey: The worst part is I know I should've fixed it 2 weeks ago but I thought to myself just one more little job then I'll fix it. We'll now I'm gonna pay dearly for that mistake

I'm still trying to decide How I'm gonna move it into the shop to get working on it

/ John Deere 870 #2  
somewhere usa
What happened two weeks ago?

What do you suspect failed? gear? bearing?

/ John Deere 870
I needed to replace the bearing I noticed 2 weeks ago on the spindle shaft.. Well now I've made matters worse by and probably looking at gears possibly a spindle shaft..

/ John Deere 870 #4  
If the loader is installed and you don't have to go too far, put weight on the 3PH (pull as much weight off the front axle as you can). Drop the bucket and get the wheel off the ground, then remove the wheel if possible.
After that, keep the bucket on the ground and curled. The heel of the bucket should be the only part touching the ground. Then drive (I think running at low speed in reverse would be best) to your shop.
If the ground is fairly flat and level, this should work...going slow is essential, so be patient.
If you have a trailer, it would be better...
Good luck!

/ John Deere 870
ended up using my truck. just backed up to the blade raised the blade up come-a-longed the blade to the truck hitch and pressed the blade down putting all the weight on the truck and raising the front wheels off the ground. then just pulled it back like a trailer nice and easy.