Large Rock move

/ Large Rock move #1  

fuseboxer

Silver Member
Tractor
two john deere Sabres (2554-Scotts) and 4410 john deere ,Allis Chalmers WD , 5' Cub Cadet Zero turn
How heavy and at what risk is moving or trying to move a granite rock approx. 3'Dia X 3 1/2' with a John Deere 4410 with a 300CX ? I have a pry bar and maybe some muscle around at the holiday. The 800lb tiller is on the rear from tilling the garden. If the risk to the loader or bucket is high the rock can stay. Any ideas? ---Thanks----Fuseboxer

/ Large Rock move #2  
How far do you need to move the rock? If it is a short distance I would roll it (if the ground is flat) or use a strap or chain to hold the rock in the bucket. If the tractor wont actually lift it then rolling it may be your only option. If it does just keep the bucket low and stay on level ground but with the size you mentioned that rock will weigh a LOT. hope this helps. :)

/ Large Rock move #3  
There are two issues:
Will the fel lift it?
Will it slide around? If it will then strap it down like mentioned before. Definitely don't want something that heavy to slide from one side of the bucket.

The counter weight definitely a good idea. I wouldn't worry about hurting the fel unless it shifts and slides.

/ Large Rock move #4  
According to my calculations that rock would weigh in the neighborhood of 3000 lbs. More than your loader would handle so please don't try that. If you could PUSH it onto a stone boat and drag it I am sure your tractor could pull it. An old car hood will work if you have one hanging around.

/ Large Rock move #5  
According to my calculations that rock would weigh in the neighborhood of 3000 lbs. More than your loader would handle so please don't try that. If you could PUSH it onto a stone boat and drag it I am sure your tractor could pull it. An old car hood will work if you have one hanging around.

I agree with magicheater. That is one heavy rock. A stone boat is your best bet, unless you can roll it to where you want it to live.

/ Large Rock move #6  
If it has a flat side and not all jagged you can just either push, roll or hook a log chain on and pull it.. the stone boat would be great but if you have to stop and build it, you may not want to take the time.. "where is that 49 merc hood anyway?":) but you can move the rock, probably cannot pick it up, but you can move it. You are going to tear up the ground under it of course.. Hope this is not your lawn:eek: I have moved a a couple like that, they weren't granite, but limestone, but still weighed more than I could even begin to lift, but sure could push/pull them.

James K0UA

/ Large Rock move #7  
I approach the heavy objects (too much for FEL) with the forks on the 3 ph. Lifts more.
But then, always find a rock that is too big for the 3ph too.
The sliding or rolling methods described are good, as is the stone boat (roll it on and drag it).

For moving/digging rocks, the forks on the FEL are priceless. Wish I'd discovered them years ago.

/ Large Rock move #8  
I approach the heavy objects (too much for FEL) with the forks on the 3 ph. Lifts more.
But then, always find a rock that is too big for the 3ph too.
The sliding or rolling methods described are good, as is the stone boat (roll it on and drag it).

For moving/digging rocks, the forks on the FEL are priceless. Wish I'd discovered them years ago.

Same here, I hardly put a rock of any size in the bucket after I got forks, I can load many of them by my self without getting off of the tractor and that includes digging them out. Plus you can see what you are doing so much better. And with a little practice you can set them right where you want them including on a rock wall you are building..I use forks with a pallet occasionally, used them for that just this weekend, but I use them for big rocks all the time.

James K0UA

/ Large Rock move #9  
I agree with those who say this will be too heavy for your loader. Unless you are going down hill I would try to pull it. A tractor tire chain makes a good sling and will stay on better than a single chain.

/ Large Rock move #10  
I agree with those who say this will be too heavy for your loader. Unless you are going down hill I would try to pull it. A tractor tire chain makes a good sling and will stay on better than a single chain.

^ This sling idea works for me. :thumbsup: