Oil & Fuel 2720 50 hour oil change advice

/ 2720 50 hour oil change advice #1  

upnorth21

Tractor
JD 2720
Finally have 50 hours on my 2720 and going to do my oil change do you all recommend changing the tranny oil too or is JD just trying to sell $120 worth of oil and filters?

/ 2720 50 hour oil change advice #2  
or is JD just trying to sell $120 worth of oil and filters?

No,not really. It is a very good idea to do your hydro after the initial 50hr.
That way you can clean the screen of the new transmission "breakin" metal filings.:) Mine wasn't nearly as bad as some I've seen pics of.

Greg

Attachments

• Hydro screen 003.jpg
    Hydro screen 003.jpg
    857.1 KB · Views: 676
   / 2720 50 hour oil change advice #3  
I would defiantly consider changing the hydraulic oil and cleaning the sump. If it is like my 2320 tractor it was loaded with metal filings. Even on my second change there were filings present. Third change was the charm, no metal.

/ 2720 50 hour oil change advice
sounds good thanks, will do this weekend, pic is worth a thousand words

/ 2720 50 hour oil change advice #5  
I usually use one of those "magnet on a stick" things to get all of the metal shavings out of mine.

I had a Cummins engine that had mysteriously worn two out of the 6 cylinders bores while under warranty. When Cummins removed the engine oil pan they found a small handful of metal shavings, two knockout plugs, sand, a bolt, and what looked like rubber gasket material. The mechanic said the stuff wasn't that unusual to be found in the oil pan. :eek:

/ 2720 50 hour oil change advice #6  
I asked the service manager at my Deere dealer the same question and he said to change the filter but don't pay to buy all new trans. fluid. He also said to use new "break-in" oil in the engine until the second change.

/ 2720 50 hour oil change advice
Did my oil and tranny change my pick up screen looked just like the pick glad I did it now thanks

/ 2720 50 hour oil change advice #8  
Changed my hydro fluid and filter and the new o-ring leaks like crazy. Dissapointing! I will probably run it for a little while and change the fuild and filter again since I will lose the fluid replacing the o-ring anyway, but I will not trust John Deere's worthless o-ring again. I will remove the o-ring and make my own gasket.

/ 2720 50 hour oil change advice #9  
How do you know the o-ring is to blame? The old one must have held well enough as it wasn't leaking before you changed the filter. Could it be that maybe it rolled when installing it and isn't performing as intended?

If the fluid is new, it wouldn't hurt to drain it, fix the leak, and pour it back in. Just make sure you clean off the area under and around the drain plug before attempting the maneuver. You don't want to contaminate the fluid that you will be reusing.

Another trick when installing o-rings is to use a light coating of oil or Vaseline. It helps hold them in place and provides some ability for them to work into position as the parts are tightened down.

/ 2720 50 hour oil change advice #10  
I asked the service manager at my Deere dealer the same question and he said to change the filter but don't pay to buy all new trans. fluid. He also said to use new "break-in" oil in the engine until the second change.

Wow... it's odd that a JD service manager would give advise that could lead to a warranty issue if you have problems. Always follow the recommended fluid change intervals. If memory serves me correctly you are to continue with break-in oil in the engine for 100 hours regardless of the number of oil changes. I'm going to be doing the 50 hr. service on my 2720 in the next two weeks.