3032e

/ 3032e
i'm not that stessed. sat on both kinds and liked both. compared to what i've had they both were cadilaics. the plastic hood scares me a bit,has it stood up to you guys working your tractors?( thats the biggest thing i'm worried about)thanks for all the help i'm getting here just need some advice. tom

/ 3032e #12  
There is a difference in opinion of what is actually working a tractor and doing what it was designed to do, and abusing a tractor, or working it like a bulldozer or a tractor with twice as much HP.
I cant testify as to how the hoods will stand up as I have only had one for a week or so. It was a sticking point with me as I watched the used car salesmen pitch on a Kubota add on youtube, and read some of the same lame bashing on here.
Please note, I have always swore I would never own a JD as everyone back home who didnt have one said all you were buying was the name...used car salesman jargin...
After looking at both, and doing some thinkin, I figured it wasnt such a bad idea, and was a small compromise to make (the hood).
I have no intention of trying to push over an oak tree with my tractor either, nor fall a tree across it. If you leave it outside, I am sure it will fade over the years in the sun. I have flexed my tractor some mowing my 10 acres, and havent noticed it buckling or bending or getting any cracks or white lines where it may have flexed. But like I said, I havent owned it all that long.

/ 3032e #13  
I've had my JD 3320 for a fair number of years now and its been super reliable. I've had to get it repaired a few times, but it was ALWAYS my fault - Lets see ...

I once put gas in instead of diesel and had to replace the fuel injectors; I over-reved the engine and had to replace the tachometer - which meant replacing the dash - but it was my goofy fault for pulling something without realizing I was in the highest gear. I once overheated the engine (didn't clean the radiator screen soon enough), but with no damage.

I think that's about it. The thing is rock solid, starts great EVERY time. Last winter was kind of mild, so it got little (maybe no) use ... and in the spring it started up as if I'd run it yesterday. Love it. Really.

/ 3032e #14  
Since the plastic hood seems to be a concern...Deere has been using plastic for hoods and fenders (yes, the 3032 fenders are plastic too, IIRC) since 1998 (the older 4xxx series tractors), hoods have been broken...but most frequently due to an operator error.
Doesn't seem to be a big problem...

/ 3032e #15  
I've had maybe a dozen JDs garden tractors since 1972 and a 3720 for a couple years and since the last 15 years or so l with plastic hoods and fenders on everything and never had a problem cracking or anything. Although when they came out I had misgiving also. My concern with metal, and maybe they took care of that, was rust and noise. Plastic won't rust and is generally quieter, in my humble opinion.

I weigh about 280 after breakfast, and never had a problem with plastic fenders or hoods from stress, and I don't baby them much, but I try to keep them pretty. I know my Duramax has plastic fenders. I can see the left overs on a tree. I think a metal fender would have to be replaced to.

I did drop a 5" diameter rock on my hood over the top of the bucket from about 3 ft. higher than the hood. After I took a deep breathe and opened my eyes I couldn't find a ding. If there was anything it was a speck. Maybe it wouldn't hurt a metal one either, I don't know. Maybe I was lucky.

If you are locked in to your new buy, don't worry about it. Just get it. If you are not locked in, just stew on it for awhile. I have misgivings all the time to. You will find all kinds of people on this forum that really make you doubt yourself.

I got a Deere because I always worked there and know how much they push quality. They seem to be focused on the ergonomic operation of their equipment, plus the resale value has been great, they tell me, until you want to trade it in.:) But anything can break, in time. It doesn't matter what color it is.

/ 3032e #16  
Both good in my view. I like Deere because I'm used to the controls and I like the ergonomics better but I'll bet the Kubota guys say the same thing. My plastic fenders are better over steel if you ask me. I never had a crack and I've dropped junk on them. My friend had a 990, nice tractor, but the hood was all dented from limbs falling on it.
Do I think the Deere's and Kubota's are better than the chinese tractors? Yes, but give them time and they'll catch up too.

I like the Deere parts network. I can go in and get parts for my wife's 1985 riding mower that still works great. How do you beat that? I don't know, can you get parts for 30 year old Kubota garden tractors? That would be a selling point for me.

The other thing is Deere really takes problems seriously. The battery problems in my 2320 were fixed in my 3320 an the drive shaft problem was also fixed in later 2320. I like to see those things also, maybe I'm wrong but it tells me the company wants me to keep coming back. Resale is also good on Deere's. Those are some of the reasons I bought Deere.

Rob

/ 3032e #17  
Hmmm ... about the plastic hood & fenders ... no issues at all. My hood has a few scratches due to mowing around low tree branches, but no other issues. I'm a BIG guy - 355 pounds at the beginning of the year, but now down to 318 (thank you Weight Watchers!!) and my weight on it has been a total non-issue.

Oh, when I bought the tractor the seat belt was too short for me. The local JD dealer was good enough to find a replacement that worded great. I won't runt the tractor without the seat belt on.

/ 3032e
thanks everyone for their input.. looks like im going green. told my wife this was the last tractor i would ever need(told her the same thing with the last four) so i just needed to be sure . now just need this week to go by so i can get it here!

/ 3032e #19  
I've also dropped a rock on my plastic hood without issue.

Also I think someone else might have mentioned it but I really like all the online materials. Some manuals, parts orders and diagrams.

/ 3032e #20  
Go with what tractor feels the best for you. You will drive yourself crazy reading over the posts on this site trying to decide which manufacture make the best tractor. The fact is that they are all good quality. Myself, I like the John Deere...reasons, I have 5 dealers within 60 min of my home in any direction. I need a part I will find it. I like the egonomices of the JD. Can't stand the single pedal on the Kubota...others love it...matter of opinion, no right or wrong. And lastly, I just like the look of the John Deere