3-Point Hitch Hydraulic Issues

/ Hydraulic Issues #1  

M Johnston

Tractor
JD850
The three point hitch on my Dads (he's 80 yrs old) JD850 will travel up or down, but will not stop at any other point. There is or was a small lever under the seat which I strongly suspect provides adjustment to the lift, however I broke it off in an effort to free it up (has been used to spread fertilizer). Can the valve that is adjusted by this lever be easily be taken off inorder to replace the lever? It is held on by 4 bolts, has one hyd line on it and other plugs. It is one thing if I can take the valve off, replace the lever with internal linkage by removing a snap ring and quite another if detailed adjustments have to be made. In addition, will this solve the preceived problem with the lift? Thanks for any help.

/ Hydraulic Issues #2  
:welcome: to the forum

A pic or two will help.
Also, I'd suggest getting a service manual on CD or paper to learn more about what you will be getting into here.

I'm a bit confused by the description and saying a "lever" broke off. Is it a lever or a round knob?

There is a knob that controls the 'rate of drop'.

A broken shaft may not be a part that is available.

Does it look like this part?

Attachments

• 850_rockshaft_control.JPG
    850_rockshaft_control.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
   / Hydraulic Issues #3  
i think the lever you speak of is the flow rate limiter knob. As long as it is not tightened all of the way in you should be fine. I never use that knob.

As for what is causing your issue, I wonder if your draft control is out of adjustment (assuming yours has it). There is a lockout on mine (short lever between the upper lift arms), try moving that around and see if it stops trying to adjust the height.

I've never worked with an 850, so I'm assuming it is very close to my 336. Some photos or video would speak volumes

/ Hydraulic Issues
Thanks for the reply, the broken lever is item #17 (actually shaft) on the thumb nail. Can you me tell what the function of the lever is?

There is a round knob right beneth the seat facing the gear shifter. This tractor was plumbed for a blade on the front. Turning the knob stops the lift, I wonder if this just diverts flow for the blade. Thanks