Help confirm 2305 fuel solenoid diagnosis

/ Help confirm 2305 fuel solenoid diagnosis #11  
Good to hear you found your problem ..Been there I now have 2 or 3 diodes from JD on hand just in case.

/ Help confirm 2305 fuel solenoid diagnosis #12  
Solved.

Bad diode keeping the hold circuit from energizing. A wiring diagram posted a couple years ago was a big help. Interestingly this circuit differs from the 2210, which threw me for a loop when someone had posted a 2210 schematic in a 2305 thread.

What's the chance they'll have it in stock? Slim or none?

Thanks again,

Chris

Chris,

Was it the V4 diode and if so, where is it located? I just went out to mow this afternoon and my 2305 started running out of fuel as well. Filter, lines, tank, cap & fuel seem A-OK. When under a heavy load the fuel bowl empties and the engine loses power & stalls. If I wait a minute or so the bowl will refill and I can restart.

Thanks,

Frank

/ Help confirm 2305 fuel solenoid diagnosis #13  
So I drained the tank, checked the fuel, reverse purged the fuel feed line, removed the fuel filter and opened it up, blew out all the passages, blew out the return lines to the tank and put it back together. Didn't find anything in particular except a pretty good sized wood shard in the container that I drained the fuel into. It was about 3/32" W X 1/8" D X 1/2" L. I don't know if it was there in the first place or came out of the main fuel line to the filter. Finished mowing the lawn, ~3 acres without a problem. Maybe I fixed it by accident. Hate when that happens..............why ask why?

/ Help confirm 2305 fuel solenoid diagnosis #14  
Solved.

Bad diode keeping the hold circuit from energizing. A wiring diagram posted a couple years ago was a big help. Interestingly this circuit differs from the 2210, which threw me for a loop when someone had posted a 2210 schematic in a 2305 thread.

Thanks again,

Chris[/QUOTE

Which diode was bad? I see there are three (V3, V4 & V5) in the safety circuit all of which would affect the hold-in voltage in the event any one was bad.

/ Help confirm 2305 fuel solenoid diagnosis #15  
Solved.

Thanks again,

Chris[/QUOTE

Which diode was bad? I see there are three (V3, V4 & V5) in the safety circuit all of which would affect the hold-in voltage in the event any one was bad.

This is an old post, but I did see a schematic from a 2305 once, and I'm working from memory... But I think V4 is the only one that will prevent the hold in coil from energizing. If you look , you will see that there are two paths to energize the holding coil. V4 is common to both paths.

/ Help confirm 2305 fuel solenoid diagnosis #16  
Chris,

Was it the V4 diode and if so, where is it located? I just went out to mow this afternoon and my 2305 started running out of fuel as well. Filter, lines, tank, cap & fuel seem A-OK. When under a heavy load the fuel bowl empties and the engine loses power & stalls. If I wait a minute or so the bowl will refill and I can restart.

Thanks,

Frank

A couple of times the question has been asked about the location of the V4 diode. I was working on a friend's JD2305 with this exact problem and thought the cause of the problem may be the V4 diode. I finally did locate the V4 diode and indeed, it was the culprit. It is located behind the cowling (plastic) underneath the steering wheel. It can be accessed by removing the 4 screws securing the instrument panel, then removing the throttle lever, then removing the 8 capscrews securing the cowling. You will have to pull the cowling out and disconnect the parking brake lock linkage by removing the cotter pins and disassembling the linkage. The cowling can then be pulled back and removed from the tractor. Once removed, locate the large wiring harness standing on the left side of the tractor. There are 3 diodes that are taped to this large wiring harness. You will probably have to look closely since they are securely wrapped with electrical tape and appear to be a part of the wiring harness itself. The V4 diode is the one on the bottom. You will have to have a small screwdriver or sharp pointed probe in order to remove the diode from its holder. It is 3-pronged and approximately 1/2" wide. The diode can be checked with a multimeter using the diode mode. The center prong is the common.

This turned out to be a huge problem caused by a very small, yet very significant component. I never found any mention of this diode in the diagnostic procedures in the Deere manual. Hope this helps others who may be experiencing this problem. Caution: Be careful to not jump conclusions and start replacing components like the fuel solenoid or safety relay. I see several have made mention of this. Diagnose the problem before you start throwing parts at it; otherwise, you are going to spend a lot of money needlessly.

/ Help confirm 2305 fuel solenoid diagnosis #17  
Here are the schematics for the 2305 (again):

Attachments

• crank.pdf
    242.5 KB · Views: 689
  • ele_sch.pdf
    696.9 KB · Views: 718
   / Help confirm 2305 fuel solenoid diagnosis #18  
Don't replace the solenoid. Your problem is the thermistor which is a 3/8" by 3/8" wafer looking thing with two wires located behind the fuse panel. Cost is about $4.00. It is soldered in so you will need to replace the same way. Been there and wasted $180.00 on a new solenoid.

When you say fuse panel I get stumped as the only fuse panel I know of is a set of four push in fuses against the inner wall of the tractor with nothing behind them.

/ Help confirm 2305 fuel solenoid diagnosis #19  
I cant seem to find that thermistor you speak of. is it behind the 10 15 and 20 amp fuses? I don't see a thing behind it.
please help me. I already took it to john deere and they replaced the v1 blue diode and charged me 4 hrs diagnoses to replace a 10 dollar diode for 497 dollars.

/ Help confirm 2305 fuel solenoid diagnosis #20  
I believe Aggie00 was talking about the earlier 4000 series tractors. The 2305 has no thermistor that I am aware of.