Help confirm 2305 fuel solenoid diagnosis

/ Help confirm 2305 fuel solenoid diagnosis #1  

Chris_T

Tractor
JD2305
2305 fuel solenoid diagnosis - SOLVED see last post

After searching the forums and finding some very useful info I think I've narrowed down my starting problem to the fuel solenoid.

Removing the solenoid allowed starting.

On-tractor diagnosis showed that the one-second pull was functioning, but not the constant pull.

This is where I'd like confirmation before I order a new one. After removing from the tractor I grounded the black wire. 12 V to the white terminal caused the solenoid to pull. 12 V to the red wire and nothing happens. The resistances are correct when I test, but I'm assuming that lack of action when 12 V is applied to the red means the solenoid should be replaced. Correct?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Last edited:
   / Help confirm 2305 fuel solenoid diagnosis #2  
After searching the forums and finding some very useful I think I've narrowed down my starting problem to the fuel solenoid.

Removing the solenoid allowed starting.

On-tractor diagnosis showed that the one-second pull was functioning, but not the constant pull.

This is where I'd like confirmation before I order a new one. After removing from the tractor I grounded the black wire. 12 V to the white terminal caused the solenoid to pull. 12 V to the red wire and nothing happens. The resistances are correct when I test, but I'm assuming that lack of action when 12 V is applied to the red means the solenoid should be replaced. Correct?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Don't replace the solenoid. Your problem is the thermistor which is a 3/8" by 3/8" wafer looking thing with two wires located behind the fuse panel. Cost is about $4.00. It is soldered in so you will need to replace the same way. Been there and wasted $180.00 on a new solenoid.

/ Help confirm 2305 fuel solenoid diagnosis
I appreciate the reply, but will that explain the solenoid not actuating on the bench (removed from the tractor) when 12v is applied to red and black is grounded?

/ Help confirm 2305 fuel solenoid diagnosis #4  
One circuit is a 'pull-in' circuit, the other is a 'hold' circuit. The 'hold' doesn't have enough poop to pull it in by itself.

Retest your 'hold', this time pushing in the plunger and see if it will 'hold'.

Thanks, that kind of excellent reply is exactly why I posted.

Solenoid will both "pull in" and "hold".

Before I head in tomorrow, is there a way to diagnose the relay from the thermistor?

C

/ Help confirm 2305 fuel solenoid diagnosis #6  
Thanks, that kind of excellent reply is exactly why I posted.

Solenoid will both "pull in" and "hold".

Before I head in tomorrow, is there a way to diagnose the relay from the thermistor?

C

No need, this is a very common issue and fixed for less than 5 dollars. I talked to Deere when I was having problems and they said to bring it in. I bought another solenoid and problem persisted. Could have been into it for 500 before it was over, but after a lot of online searching I found my answer, was skeptical though, and problem fixed.

Thanks. I hope you understand/appreciate my skepticism then. I'd really rather not have to make a second trip, or buy parts I don't need.

So far it seems I've saved myself from buying a solenoid, so I'm definitely willing to listen!

However, everything I'm reading that mentions the thermistor is for a 4000 series or 755/790. There is an older post suggesting the K2 fuel pull in relay, or the V4 diode.

In my case, since it pulls in, but does not hold, there may not be current coming from the V4 diode, because either it is faulty or it is not receiving current. I'm out to the garage to find this creature next.

Comments?

Last edited:
   / Help confirm 2305 fuel solenoid diagnosis #8  
Thanks. I hope you understand/appreciate my skepticism then. I'd really rather not have to make a second trip, or buy parts I don't need.

So far it seems I've saved myself from buying a solenoid, so I'm definitely willing to listen!

The thermistor is for the pull function of the solenoid. When the key is turned full juice goes to the pull function and it retracts. After a few seconds the thermistor will heat up and reduce voltage/amperage or whatever to keep from burning up the solenoid. The hold circuit is always on and does just that once the piston retracts. You can do a little test by accessing the thermistor and hold it between your fingers when you turn the key. It should get too hot to touch after a few seconds. Or you could jump the wires and check, but don't jump them too long cuz then you will burn up the solenoid.

Reposting from an edit upthread - I really appreciate the feedback. Was editing to explain the skepticism.

However, everything I'm reading that mentions the thermistor is for a 4000 series or 755/790. There is an older post suggesting the K2 fuel pull in relay, or the V4 diode.

In my case, since it pulls in, but does not hold, there may not be current coming from the V4 diode, because either it is faulty or it is not receiving current. I'm out to the garage to find this creature next.

Comments?

Solved.

Bad diode keeping the hold circuit from energizing. A wiring diagram posted a couple years ago was a big help. Interestingly this circuit differs from the 2210, which threw me for a loop when someone had posted a 2210 schematic in a 2305 thread.

What's the chance they'll have it in stock? Slim or none?

Thanks again,

Chris