720 ran out of fuel, how do i prime or bleed?

/ 720 ran out of fuel, how do i prime or bleed? #1  

larson1951

Tractor
john deere
my 720 two cylinder diesel started to run out of fuel yesterday, i shut it off right away and walked and got some fuel and put in
it started and quit and wont start anymore
can i prime it myself?
i don't know where to begin and don't know where the primer lever is located
can someone please help me?
thanks larson1951 in ND

Last edited:
   / 720 ran out of fuel, how do i prime or bleed? #2  
Not familiar with the JDs, but most tractors have a bleeder screw somewhere on the injector pump. On the newer ones, just screw it out, start it up, and screw it back in. On some older ones you bleed it like bleeding brake lines. Check you manual or call your dealer - they can tell you what to do. Good luck!

Btw, remember not to crank more than about 10 sec at a time. Longer can damage the starter. Just had a tractor in the shop that had run out of fuel. The owner had cranked it for a long time and completely fried the starter - an expensive mistake.

/ 720 ran out of fuel, how do i prime or bleed? #3  
Are you referring to a 720 2cyl????

/ 720 ran out of fuel, how do i prime or bleed?
it is a 1957 two cylinder with pony start
it has always worked great, until i let this happen
thanks for your help

/ 720 ran out of fuel, how do i prime or bleed? #5  
larson1951 said:
it is a 1957 two cylinder with pony start
it has always worked great, until i let this happen
thanks for your help

Oh, sorry - like I said, not familiar with the JDs :) I was thinking newer. Still, it may have the bleeder screw on the injector pump that you bleed like brake lines (helps to have two people).

thanks jshwhite
i hope txjim can help
i am mad at myself for letting this happen
larson1951

/ 720 ran out of fuel, how do i prime or bleed? #7  
Apparently you own the machine but don't own an operator's manual? The manual requires several pages of instruction and illustration of the three bleed ports. Best to call 1-800-522-7448 and order the operator's manual to bleed the system. A couple of sentences on the Internet is just enough info to be dangerous.And the service manual to repair the fuel gauge. EverGreen Restorations make the best working gauges on the market.

/ 720 ran out of fuel, how do i prime or bleed? #8  
JD 720 is gravity feed for fuel. IIRC there's is a bleeder on transfer pump that one loosens until air free fuel flows out then loosen bleeders on the 2 fuel filters up behind radiator. If the engine doesn't crank then injector lines are hidden under cover on top of the engine.

thanks so much
your help is much appreciated
i grew up with john deere two-cylinder tractors
now at 61 yrs old i should know this but it is my first diesel
the land we farmed was so rocky that the biggest tractors we had were a model A and a model B
and two large draft horses
still have the A that my Dad bought new in 1939
i like this forum and say thanks again
steve
larson1951 from north dakota