Service manual or Tech manual

/ Service manual or Tech manual #1  

Deere Dude

Elite Member
Beaver Dam Wisconsin then to Hohenwald, TN
Tractor
John Deere 3720
My tractor is just off the warranty and am wondering what kind of manual to get for adjusting and fixing and calibrating problems as they arise. Hopefully it will save a trip to the dealer to offset the cost of the book.

Service or Technical manual? Are they the same book?

/ Service manual or Tech manual #2  
First check and see what Deere offers. It might be one manual on X700 series tractors and a second on your specific engine, maybe a third on the transaxle.

On my tractor they offer Technical Manual Repair and Technical Manual Operations & Tests.

I would want them all.

/ Service manual or Tech manual #3  
The service manual works quite well for the work one could do at home. I suggest you get it on CD-ROM.
It comes as a .pdf (on the CD-ROM) so you'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader. I'm not sure the the Reader allows one to print out single pages (I use Acrobat Professional), but there are a lot of free .pdf programs that will print out single pages.

When you order the manual (CD-ROM or paper), you will need your tractor's serial number.

/ Service manual or Tech manual #4  
I have the September 2008 Technical Manual for the "3000 Twenty Series" tractor, PDF version. It is by far the best repair manual I have ever seen on any piece of equipment. I was not aware there was a Service Manual available, but my technical manual gives step by step instructions for rebuilding almost every component on the tractor.

Well worth the money.

/ Service manual or Tech manual #5  
I gather they are one of the same.