John deere 855 power steering cylinder

/ John deere 855 power steering cylinder #1  

denny0658

Tractor
john deere 855
I imagine this is not new to this group but I am looking for some help on the power steering for my 855. The tie rod end on the cylinder is worn. In talking with the dealer it looks as if you have to replace the whole cylinder. Anyone had any luck finding a tie rod that will work that can be welded on the end of the cylinder or is that something that is nmot possible. Just seems like a waste to spend $350 on a new cylinder when the one i have is in good shape other than the tie rod. Thanks for any help

/ John deere 855 power steering cylinder #2  
Would like too see pic of damage. As for wielding on cyl not a problem. Caution about too much heat near shaft seal.

/ John deere 855 power steering cylinder #3  
micwzzrd said:
Would like too see pic of damage. As for wielding on cyl not a problem. Caution about too much heat near shaft seal.

Uh-oh. Another welding project. Should you temper the steel or is there another way? Is it dangerous to weld a tie rod end? What If it's going down the freeway? Is it safe? What to do. Maybe JB Weld or locktite would work. Maybe put a tube around it. Or............

/ John deere 855 power steering cylinder #4  
The tie rod end on the cylinder is worn. In talking with the
dealer it looks as if you have to replace the whole cylinder. Anyone had any luck finding a tie
rod that will work that can be welded on the end of the cylinder

I just helped a neighbor find a replacement cylinder from Surplus Center for his
955. This is one strange cylinder: it is welded closed (no removable gland) and the
cast tie rod ends are welded onto each end. Since his has dents in the rod, it
needs to be replaced, not rebuilt.

He is going to get some automotive tie rods from NAPA and then weld a threaded
rod or rod coupling onto the cyl ends.

/ John deere 855 power steering cylinder #5  
I welded my tie rod ends and it was a big mistake. I was mowing a field down at the old folks home and one of my welds broke. I was outta control and veered into a crowd of old timers playing parcheesi. The mayhem was terrible. Those old people lay in pieces all over the patio. Blood and guts were everywhere. I lost the contract for doing any future mowing there too. All because I didn't weld the tie rod end properly. Live and learn

/ John deere 855 power steering cylinder #6  
Had a new end welded on mine. It's worked fine for the 3 years it's been on there. Before I could lift the tie rod end up off the ball on the wheel end. I had a tarp strap wrapped around it for about a year to hold it down till I got it fixed. Dunno why they didn't make these replaceable. At the time, Deere wanted around $800 for the new cylinder for about a $10 part at the auto store.

/ John deere 855 power steering cylinder #7  
I welded my tie rod ends and it was a big mistake. I was mowing a field down at the old folks home and one of my welds broke. I was outta control and veered into a crowd of old timers playing parcheesi. The mayhem was terrible. Those old people lay in pieces all over the patio. Blood and guts were everywhere. I lost the contract for doing any future mowing there too. All because I didn't weld the tie rod end properly. Live and learn

if you cant weld?what do you want sympathy,it is not funny.:thumbdown:

/ John deere 855 power steering cylinder #8  
if you cant weld?what do you want sympathy,it is not funny.:thumbdown:

I can weld. I don't want any sympathy. I'm ok. I wasn't injured in that horrible accident. I still go dancing and rock climbing. They were old anyway. I did get more contracts with em too. I go fishing with the administrator so in a shoe in! Do you have any sense of humor left?