How do you secure JD2520 to trailer straps or chains

/ How do you secure JD2520 to trailer straps or chains #1  

p0peye

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2520
I just bought a pj utility trailer 83" x 16' includes 2' beavertail to haul my 2520 and would like some input about how everyone secures their load. Pictures of a secured JD 2520 would be great. I am planning on chains on 4 corners with straps as backups as I always over secure if I can.

/ How do you secure JD2520 to trailer straps or chains #2  
Popeye, it doesn't sound like you need any advice! A 16' trailer is a good size for the 2520, especially if there's no backhoe present. You will probably find, however, that you'll have to pull the tractor (with loader and bucket) just about all the way forward to balance the load, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited:
   / How do you secure JD2520 to trailer straps or chains #3  
i like to use chanis and binders,for some reason i don't trust straps for hauling bigger/heavier stuff.

/ How do you secure JD2520 to trailer straps or chains #4  
smithrngr said:
i like to use chanis and binders,for some reason i don't trust straps for hauling bigger/heavier stuff.

Funny, I don't trust chains as you can hardly tell that a chain is about to fail, but on a strap it is pretty obvious. Although I will admit I have never heard of a chain failure except through abuse.

Chains are necessary when you can't find straps strong enough to support the weight.

I use 10k lb breaking strength straps. They do tend to wear quicker than a chain though.

To the original poster, I think you are definitely going above and beyond though. Kudos to you as most people barley secure their loads (not referring to anyone here).

/ How do you secure JD2520 to trailer straps or chains #5  
Chains!!!.

If you were to have a traffic accident and the tractor becomes a projectile, you will be sued. Chains are too cheap to use anything less. Secure it as you described and know you did it right

/ How do you secure JD2520 to trailer straps or chains #6  
Technically, since your piece of equipment is under 10,000lbs., you only need two chains... one front and one rear to legally secure the load. Any attachments need there own strap or chain. So, if you had a FEL, you'd need a strap/chain securing it and if you had a rear attached implement, it would also need it's own strap/chain. That being said, I personally would probably secure the tractor with 4 chains... one at each corner and then additional chains to secure any attachments.

/ How do you secure JD2520 to trailer straps or chains #7  
I use straps.

Chains are cool, too. I prefer the ratcheting binders vs. the old dogleg binders. Regardless of straps or chains, use good equipment, not the cheapest thing you can find at Harbor Freight.

/ How do you secure JD2520 to trailer straps or chains #8  
I have a 22' equipment trailer and a MF 431. When I tow it a only use 2 chains I hook one end through the stake pocket and loop the chain through the front weight bracket that has a large pin through it and run chain through stake pocket on other side and use the lever binders. I basically do the same thing on the rear except go through the drag link. basically i have the chains pulling in opposite directions.

/ How do you secure JD2520 to trailer straps or chains #9  
I have a 2320 and a 16 foot trailer. I've tried different things and kind of settled on three straps. I use 2 inch straps because they are easy and have more than enough capacity. I tie down each corner for the front, from the weight bracket or loader bucket, depending on what's on the tractor. I then use one long strap across the back tires and three point hitch. The back strap pulls forward and the front straps pull backward.