Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 2520

Default How do you secure JD2520 to trailer straps or chains

I just bought a pj utility trailer 83" x 16' includes 2' beavertail to haul my 2520 and would like some input about how everyone secures their load. Pictures of a secured JD 2520 would be great. I am planning on chains on 4 corners with straps as backups as I always over secure if I can.
    2010 John Deere 2520, Loaded R4s, 200CX Loader w/61'' Bucket, 62D MMM, iMatch, Frontier BB 2060, Frontier LR2060L, Jd 655 Tiller,Frontier RC2048

1997 John Deere 455 w/60'' deck, JD Lawn Sweeper

Tractor
    John Deere

Default Re: How do you secure JD2520 to trailer straps or chains

Popeye, it doesn't sound like you need any advice! A 16' trailer is a good size for the 2520, especially if there's no backhoe present. You will probably find, however, that you'll have to pull the tractor (with loader and bucket) just about all the way forward to balance the load, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    Last edited by Artillian; 06-23-2012 at 08:04 AM.
    Chris@Artillian

Artillian Lightweight Pallet Forks and Other Attachments for John Deere tractors
    www.ARTILLIAN.com

JD 2520 TLB
    JD X324

Tractor
    jd 4510

i like to use chanis and binders,for some reason i don't trust straps for hauling bigger/heavier stuff.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2007 Kubota BX24

Quote Originally Posted by smithrngr
    i like to use chanis and binders,for some reason i don't trust straps for hauling bigger/heavier stuff.
    Funny, I don't trust chains as you can hardly tell that a chain is about to fail, but on a strap it is pretty obvious. Although I will admit I have never heard of a chain failure except through abuse.

Chains are necessary when you can't find straps strong enough to support the weight.

I use 10k lb breaking strength straps. They do tend to wear quicker than a chain though.

To the original poster, I think you are definitely going above and beyond though. Kudos to you as most people barley secure their loads (not referring to anyone here).
    Brian

2008 2500HD CC SB Duramax 6.6L
    2005 Suzuki Eiger
    2009 Rubicon 4-wheeler
    2011 John Deere 2520, FEL, and 62D belly mower, 6 foot box blade, 6 foot rear blade, a set of pallet forks, a 5 foot brush hog.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 4310 eHydro,

Chains!!!.

If you were to have a traffic accident and the tractor becomes a projectile, you will be sued. Chains are too cheap to use anything less. Secure it as you described and know you did it right

Tractor
    JD 955/70A/7 TLB

Technically, since your piece of equipment is under 10,000lbs., you only need two chains... one front and one rear to legally secure the load. Any attachments need there own strap or chain. So, if you had a FEL, you'd need a strap/chain securing it and if you had a rear attached implement, it would also need it's own strap/chain. That being said, I personally would probably secure the tractor with 4 chains... one at each corner and then additional chains to secure any attachments.

Tractor
    JD 955

I use straps.

Chains are cool, too. I prefer the ratcheting binders vs. the old dogleg binders. Regardless of straps or chains, use good equipment, not the cheapest thing you can find at Harbor Freight.
    JD 955 w/ 70A FEL
    IH Farmall 400
    1939 Caterpillar D7 (yes, one of the old overhead cable lift dozers)

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 431

I have a 22' equipment trailer and a MF 431. When I tow it a only use 2 chains I hook one end through the stake pocket and loop the chain through the front weight bracket that has a large pin through it and run chain through stake pocket on other side and use the lever binders. I basically do the same thing on the rear except go through the drag link. basically i have the chains pulling in opposite directions.

Tractor
    John Deere 2320

I have a 2320 and a 16 foot trailer. I've tried different things and kind of settled on three straps. I use 2 inch straps because they are easy and have more than enough capacity. I tie down each corner for the front, from the weight bracket or loader bucket, depending on what's on the tractor. I then use one long strap across the back tires and three point hitch. The back strap pulls forward and the front straps pull backward.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Didn't intend to have a Deere fleet - it just happened 310C, F915 & 5200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast