Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 3320

Default What do you mean its running BACKWARDS!

I just purchased a used JD 550 tiller from my John Deere dealer that was in on consignment. It's in really nice condition and the dealer said knowing the owner, he took care of his equipment.
    Let that be lesson 1! Either the blades are on backward or the tiller is running backward. I started out by checking all the bolts and oil levels, and adding it where needed. The blades I found, are over sharpened to the point of almost able to cut you when rubbed. Then I hooked it up and we went to the garden. We have a lot of hard soil and rocks so I expected it to be a bit of a go at first. MAN OH MAN! The tiller was jumping and bouncing but it was breaking ground. It wasn't doing what I had expected but it was removing the grass as it was only set for about 3 inches deep. After about 1/2 hour I got a LOW FUEL light so I called the test run complete. When I got it back to the house I inspected the blades to see what kindmofmdammage had been done to those sharpened edges. They were still as sharp as when I started. I started wondering, could those blades be on backward?
    Looking at the tiller from the 3ph and watching the rotation, It is indeed hitting the ground with the back of the blade and the direction of rotation is throwing the dirt toward the bottom, back side of the tiller.
    I have to assume that someone has replaced the blades and put them on backward. OR, And here comes the stupid question the tiller is running BACKWARDS!
    Being new to tractors I have to ask this stupid question and I'm already sorry that I do! Are PTOs Omni directional? SORRY!
    I have a Jd 3320.
    Only your DOG really knows who you are. Pray it never learns to talk.

Tractor
    John Deere 4520

A picture would be extremely helpful n answering your question.
    Gary

JD 4520, 400X FEL, Frontier Front Blade, Box Blade, Rotary Cutter, Landscape Rake, 48" Wildkat Grapple and PHD

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC33D w/supersteer and loader

Default Re: What do you mean its running BACKWARDS!

The pictures I found of used ones showed the tine direction would be WITH ground direction. I mean the tines would push the tractor forward.
    NH TC33D, Lorenz 5ft blower, KK 60" tiller, Kubota RTV900, Stihl 026, 029, 361, 460, Husqvarna 2100cd, 261, Speeco 25t splitter, Cub Cadet 982, Deere x744

Tractor
    JD 3320

The tine closest to the ground has the cutting edge facing the tractor. The back edge of the blade is hitting the ground. As with the previous post, the rotation would be as if trying to push the tractor forward.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-1351006498-jpg  

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

I'll bet the previous owner sold it because of the poor cutting after taking the blades off and sharpening them.

Bruce

Tractor
    John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465

Yup, I would say thats backwards from what I can see.

There are reverse rotation tillers though, as in opposite to the direction of travel.

My belhen and jd 647 tillers have the tines striking the ground from the top going down/rearward with the sharpened edge leading.
    Carefull what you aim for, Aim for nothing and you will achieve it with amazing accuracy.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC33D w/supersteer and loader

If that is the lower 3ph arm at the top right of the picture, it sure seems like the tines are backwards. Google "deere 550 tiller" and look at the pictures.
    NH TC33D, Lorenz 5ft blower, KK 60" tiller, Kubota RTV900, Stihl 026, 029, 361, 460, Husqvarna 2100cd, 261, Speeco 25t splitter, Cub Cadet 982, Deere x744

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

I would turn those blades around and enjoy your new tiller.

Tractor
    John Deere 4520

One would have thought that the Dealer would have picked up on the incorrect installation. Hope you got a good deal on it.
    Gary

JD 4520, 400X FEL, Frontier Front Blade, Box Blade, Rotary Cutter, Landscape Rake, 48" Wildkat Grapple and PHD

Tractor
    JD 3320

I paid $1500 for the tiller. It was less then the cheapest brand new tillers I found.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast