John Deere X485 no start - Please help

/ John Deere X485 no start - Please help #1  

italyguy01

Tractor
X485
I have a 2005 John Deere X485 tractor with about 110 hours on it.
All maintenance is up to date, we generally do it ourselves.

Last week tractor was running great, no issues. Used it for about 2 hours on Wednesday last week, then shut it down, went to restart, and it would crank but not start. I did notice the cooling screen in front of Radiator was clogged, so I cleaned it all out. (temperature gauge on dash never went to red or anything, it always looked good) Waited 3 hours, sun went down, it cranked and restarted fine. No issues. I parked it in garage. Next morning, it cranked and started, no problem, and I used it for about an hour. Left tractor in drive for a few hours and agai, crank and no start. Let the tractor sit in garage for a few days, and still, crank and no start. It has new spark plugs, new fuel filter, full tank of gas. We need help?

/ John Deere X485 no start - Please help #2  
Just a thought fuel filter might need changed,,, not sure if gas cap could this trouble..

/ John Deere X485 no start - Please help
Just a thought fuel filter might need changed,,, not sure if gas cap could this trouble..

Replaced fuel filter and gas cap. No luck.

/ John Deere X485 no start - Please help #4  
I would start with the safety switches. Check the pro switch, make sure it wasn't left on then the seat switch, make sure it is not sticking.

I would start with the safety switches. Check the pro switch, make sure it wasn't left on then the seat switch, make sure it is not sticking.

Seat switch is fine, even jumped it. What is the "pro" switch?

/ John Deere X485 no start - Please help #6  
italyguy01 said:
Seat switch is fine, even jumped it. What is the "pro" switch?

My guess is that should be PTO. This would be the control for the mmm or rear attachment. There is usually a switch and logic to prevent starter engaging of the PTO is engaged.

Sorry don't know this specific machine.

RoN

My guess is that should be PTO. This would be the control for the mmm or rear attachment. There is usually a switch and logic to prevent starter engaging of the PTO is engaged.

Sorry don't know this specific machine.

RoN

Ok, The tractor does crank fine, but no start.

/ John Deere X485 no start - Please help #8  
if it cranks you need to find out if you are getting fuel and spark.i would pull a fuel line off after the filter and turn the key if fuel comes out then your getting fuel.and get a spark checker thing that goes inbetween the plug and wire and see if you are getting spark.that would tell you where to start looking.

if it cranks you need to find out if you are getting fuel and spark.i would pull a fuel line off after the filter and turn the key if fuel comes out then your getting fuel.and get a spark checker thing that goes inbetween the plug and wire and see if you are getting spark.that would tell you where to start looking.

Plenty of fuel. No spark apparently. Had to have the john deere service pick the tractor up. I hope and pray it isn't a fortune to fix.... aghhhh

/ John Deere X485 no start - Please help #10  
if it's a no start while hot, that could mean an ignition coil problem,
quick to change out, and usually one side will go before the other,
not both, unless they have been breaking down and it wasn't noticed.
keep us posted. hope it's an easy fix.