John deere 1026R

/ John deere 1026R #1  

tramustang

Tractor
JD 1026R
I took delivery of a new JD 1026R today .

I am disappointed that you can not mow while abacking up.

can anyone tell me how to disconnect that safety feature

/ John deere 1026R #2  
no For safety reasons.

/ John deere 1026R #3  
It can be done, but I don't have that knowledge on these complex new safety systems. If not for our lawsuit crazy society these wouldn't be necessary, but the manufacturers' have to reduce their liability any way they can. I've been mowing for over 50 years on tractors, both lawn and brush mowers, and while I've known farmers to fall under brush hogs, I have never heard of anyone hurting themselves mowing backwards for a few feet. Certainly my ZTR mower lets me mow backwards. If you couldn't you'd lose a lot of productivity.

Similarly, this board prohibits members posting instructions for by-passing the safety mechanisms. Perhaps a knowledgeable member will see this and PM you with a "how to" or "where to look for help".

Good luck with your issue.

PH

/ John deere 1026R #4  
I don't know how I would function if I could not mow backwards with all the things I have to mow around. :confused2:

/ John deere 1026R #6  
Chips is correct, pull out the pto, once in reverse you can let it go.... As long as you don't stop.

/ John deere 1026R #7  
Geez, doesn't anyone look in the owners manual when they buy a 1000 series? It's covered in both the mower and tractor owner's manual.

You want the "rear implement option" (RIO) section:

NOTE: Backing up while mower is engaged is strongly discouraged. The Reverse Implement Option should be used only when operating another attachment or when operator deems it necessary to reposition machine with mower engaged.

1. Stop machine forward travel with attachment engaged.

2. Look behind machine to be sure there are no bystanders.

NOTE: If attachment stops while repositioning machine, return PTO/RIO switch to off position. Begin again with Step 2 in procedure.

3. Lift PTO/RIO switch (A) up past the PTO engagement position to activate the reverse implement option. Then depress reverse travel pedal.

4. As machine begins to move backward, release PTO/RIO switch and reposition machine.

5. Resume forward travel. The attachment should continue operating.

6. Repeat Steps 1 through 5 to reposition machine again.

/ John deere 1026R
I found that you can jumper the two bottom wires on the RIO switch red and orange DA DA problem cured

/ John deere 1026R #9  
This is the dumbest safety thing ever. My new 2520 doesn't do that. It sounds to me like you have to keep a hand on the switch which would limit you from turning around as far to see what's behind you. Seat safety switch, yeah, pto backup switch, no.

/ John deere 1026R #10  
This is the dumbest safety thing ever. My new 2520 doesn't do that. It sounds to me like you have to keep a hand on the switch which would limit you from turning around as far to see what's behind you. Seat safety switch, yeah, pto backup switch, no.

If I follow the instructions given by "Dirtworker" I don't see where I have to hold anything when backing up.

"Chips is correct, pull out the pto, once in reverse you can let it go.... As long as you don't stop."

I read the "Don't Stop" as being "Don't turn the motor off". Are you reading something else into the instructions given?