John Deere 4600 pto not engaging

/ John Deere 4600 pto not engaging #1  

David R18

Tractor
2000 4600
I have a 2000 jd 4600 the pto does not work. I installed a new switch.. Nothing. It has not been used much had back hoe attachment for most if the time. Any thoughts

/ John Deere 4600 pto not engaging #2  
Have you tried checking the connector where the wiring hooks up to the PTO clutch? Maybe it is unplugged, or a bad connection. You might also look for a broken wire.

/ John Deere 4600 pto not engaging
I just removed something that looks like a magnetic switch. The connections were some what corroded maybe cleaning will help. Is there a way to check this switch? The number on it is TSD-09R-01. I greatly appreciate your help.

/ John Deere 4600 pto not engaging #4  
Does the PTO light come on? If not, I would check the fuse.

The device that you are referring to (magnetic switch) may be the PTO solenoid. It is located near and under the SCV valve. You can check it with an ohm meter. It should be around 8 - 9 ohms. You can also check to see if 12 volts is present at the connector when the key switch is in run position (engine not running) and PTO switch in the on position.

Also, with everything hooked up (solenoid installed), with the key switch in the run position (engine not running); you should be able to hear the PTO solenoid click when the PTO switch is turned on.

Thanks dws, There is voltage at the connector and the ohm meter is reading 10 ohms. I don't here any click from the solenoid but I did notice it does get very warm. I hate to buy a new switch at over $100 but that may be my next move before taking it to the dealer. I appreciate any other thoughts.

/ John Deere 4600 pto not engaging #6  
With the solenoid disconnected, you can also check for continuity between one of the leads and the solenoid case. There should be no continuity.

With everything installed, my solenoid does get a little warm. After about 2 minutes, the solenoid is around 105 -110 degrees. The tractor and air temperature was about 80 degrees.

Also, the spec on the solenoid is 1.5 amps.

If all of this checks ok, the next check would probably be the solenoid valve.

I think your right. I think it is time for a mechanic. Thanks for your help I will let you know what it winds up being.

Well, I have replaced the solenoid valve and had the PTO control valve rebuilt with new seals etc. I have re installed it and still nothing. I don,t have a hydraulic pressure gage but I removed the plug in the pressure test port in the PTO control valve and started the engine and only got a minor amount of hydraulic oil flowing out both with and without the PTO switch on. All other hydraulic implements are working, and I do have voltage at the PTO solenoid valve. I still feel like the problem is in the control valve but am not sure what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

/ John Deere 4600 pto not engaging #9  
I did not find any information in the technical manual for checking the PTO pressures at the PTO valve. I see from the parts list that there are plugs on the PTO valve. The PTO hydraulic schematic shows that the Delay Relief Valve should be 213.6 PSI, and the Lubrication Relief Valve should be 21.4 PSI. The manual doesn't indicate how to check any of this; other than to check the main system pressure. The troubleshooting chart for "PTO will not engage" is as follows:

1. Low Hydraulic Oil Pressure. .....Main hydraulic system pressure should be 2500 PSI.
2. PTO shaft, gear, or bearing failure.
3. PTO clutch worn or damaged.
4. PTO solenoid valve will not engage.

Does your hydraulic system seem to be working normally? Lift for the 3 point hitch? FEL?

Yes everything seems to be working properly. I have owned this tractor since it was new and had never used the PTO. When I purchased it I had them install the backhoe attachment and also a hydraulic tilt lever for the box blade. The front loader the 3 point hitch the backhoe and the box blade all work very well. The mechanic that rebuilt the PTO valve said it was pretty dirty, I guess from not being used. I cant imagine the clutch being worn but I suppose there could be some other internal damage caused from lack of use.. not sure. I have copied the instructions on testing the PTO valve below. it would not let me copy the picture of port A but it is on the top surface of the PTO valve above the PTO solenoid and the triangular plate with 3 bolts in it. I am wondering if the channels that take hydraulic fluid to and from the clutch could be clogged with debris and if they can be cleaned out without splitting the tractor or some other drastic measure?
PTO VALVE PRESSURE TESTS
Reason:
To verify hydraulic pressure in the PTO valve is
maintained at correct levels to perform work without
causing damage to the PTO clutch, and to verify that
lubrication oil is being provided to the PTO clutch.
Equipment:
• JTO5487 1/8 NPT X 7/16-20 M 37° Adapter
• JT03017 - Hose With Coupler
• JTO3363 - 0-207 kPa (0-30 psi) Pressure Gauge
• JT03344 - 0-2068 kPa (0-300 psi) Pressure Gauge
Procedure:
1. Park tractor on a level surface and set park brake.
2. Shift transmission to NEUTRAL. Stop engine.
3. Cycle all controls to relieve any pressure that may
be in the hydraulic system.
4. Install adapter, hose, and pressure gauge in test
port (A).
5. Start engine and run at fast idle.
6. Engage PTO.
7. Verify that pressure is to specification.
8. Disengage PTO and stop engine.
CAUTION
Do not maintain pressure longer than necessary.
Pump pressure may exceed working pressure of
flow meter. Relieve all pressure before
disconnecting test equipment