Tractor
    John Deere 2210

Default 2210 won't start just clicks

2210 won't start when turning ignition key, all I hear is a click. Charged the battery and did a load test with a Harbor Freight tester-registered low on the good scale. Tried another battery and the same click sound. Is there anyway to jump across the starter terminals to test it? I looked at the starter and it doesn't look like the 1960-70's car starter terminals I'm used to. Any ideas out there on the problem are welcome. Could it be the safety switches and how and where do I test them? Thanks, Mel

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

Default Re: 2210 won't start just clicks

Quote Originally Posted by dog5farm View Post
    2210 won't start when turning ignition key, all I hear is a click. Charged the battery and did a load test with a Harbor Freight tester-registered low on the good scale. Tried another battery and the same click sound. Is there anyway to jump across the starter terminals to test it? I looked at the starter and it doesn't look like the 1960-70's car starter terminals I'm used to. Any ideas out there on the problem are welcome. Could it be the safety switches and how and where do I test them? Thanks, Mel
    before you go any further, find both ends of the ground wire off of the battery, remove, clean and reinstall.

This is a MAJOR cause of not starting

Clean all corrosion and spray on a battery lead protector.
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    kubota 7040sud

Quote Originally Posted by dog5farm View Post
    after you clean batt cables if it dont start u can short acrossed the starter it should then fire if not 3 secs of starting juice oh clicking is the fuel shut off swhitch on the injector pump

Tractor
    John Deere 2210

Yes, the cables and posts are clean. Also tried jumping from another battery. Same results. Thanks case245-I was wondering what exactly the click was. Mel

Tractor
    1988 John Deere 755

do you hear the starter click or the fuel shut off?

If you hear the starter clicking check the ground strap from the battery to the block/frame alot of the times these will go missing or become damaged and you lose a ground. If that is good your starter may need to be replaced. Also check the fuse and the wires from the ignition to the starter.
    1988 John Deere 755
    52 Loader
    JD 59 Front mount snowblower
    60" MMM
    MFWD
    48" JD Model 40 tiller

Craftsman YS4500
    22 Hp Briggs & Stratton

Tractor
    JD 300 industrial 1965-73 era

Got the same symtoms on my JD . Found starter was toast. got a after market on ebay . $98.quality may be an issue in the future but I use it so little I can buy 5 starters for the price of 1 JD unit

Tractor
    JD 2210

while the posts may look clean, check to make sure that the strap isn't broken. Also the ground strap was my problem when I had the same thing going on with mine. Actually used a bigger gauge wire and grounded it else where. But when I looked at the battery post they looked fine, then I took the positive off and it was actually broken on the bottom and I wouldn't have known unless I took it off to look at it.
    Bill 2210, 210 fel 53", 62" mmm, Ballast Box, 47" Snowblower, I-Match, Curtis heated SS Cab, 854 TracVac, forks

Platinum Member

There are several items in the start circuit. The key switch sends power to the F2 fuse, and from there to the pto switch neutral, the range lever neutral, the seat switch, the safety relay, and the starter relay. There are also some diodes in these circuits to assure they work properly. Have you determined if the click is from the starter? If you try putting range lever in gear ad attempt to start, does the click go away or change to different location? The clicking can be fuel shut-off solenoid, fuel relay, starter, starter relay, or safety relay. Figuring out which item is clicking and when, can narrow the possible problem.

Tractor
    JD 2520

One word Battery
    2010 John Deere 2520, Loaded R4s, 200CX Loader w/61'' Bucket, 62D MMM, iMatch, Frontier BB 2060, Frontier LR2060L, Jd 655 Tiller,Frontier RC2048

1997 John Deere 455 w/60'' deck, JD Lawn Sweeper