HELP!! 2210 bad vibratioins !!

/ HELP!! 2210 bad vibratioins !! #1  

megotatractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2210
2004 model 2210 with 705 hours; first noticed a "hard" intermittent vibration yesterday. It happened again today after mowing an hour and I first thought a blade was coming loose. Turned off the mower but the tractor was shaking hard under the seat! What is it and what's it going to cost me??? Seems consistant with the engine rpms. Tranny oil level is good, no other symptoms. ???

/ HELP!! 2210 bad vibratioins !! #2  
Your intermediate drive shaft is probably shot. There's likely no instructions in your owner's manual regarding periodic grease ing.

/ HELP!! 2210 bad vibratioins !! #3  
My shaft is not greaseable. But I agree with skier, that's probably the culprit. Hope so anyway. If not the shaft, then it's engine vibration and that's not gonna be pretty. I believe in the "KISS" principle and look for problems at the lowest level first.

/ HELP!! 2210 bad vibratioins !!
I was going to elaborate on symptoms but I spent the last 3 hours wrestling a virus outta the dam computer!!!
The vibration started happening whenever I hit a thick spot in the grass or when turning sharply. After I eliminated the mower as the culprit it occurs to me that those instances when it was happening it was under load. I guess the vibrations been there for weeks but thought it was my imagination or the engine was running rough.
After my initial post and letting the tractor cool down for awhile I slid underneath, removed the mower earlier once I realized it was the tractor. and cannot hardly see that driveshaft! I can see a couple inches here and there. Got a glimpse of the rear u-joint, or the edge of it. Was able to get two fingers on the shaft and jiggle it a little. It does jiggle a little. then the only view of the front u-joint was a small opening above the starter and I can see but not touch that the u joint bearing has a shiny gap about 1/16 inch where there shouldn't be a gap. You guys may be right. But HOW in the world does one get at that shaft just to prove it's the shaft?? What would the dealer charge to fix something like that????? and HOW in the world is a guy supposed to lube that thing??????? (I know ive read some of this on these forums but I got the computer virus trying to google it so please give a link?)

/ HELP!! 2210 bad vibratioins !! #5  
Mego,

I had the same problem and I replaced the u joiunt on the shaft and she has run like a dream ever since. Took a while to figure out what it was, but once I found out I had a bud help me and fixed it in a couple of hours with Kobota u-joint rather than spending the big money deere wanted for the shaft. We didn't even spint the tractor either to do it.

Okay, we either spend $600.oo for the shaft and get the shaft OR rig it with Kubota bearings, am I reading that correctly? I dont suppose anyone knows if these happen to be the same u joints as on the mower deck??? What is the Kubota part #? And exactly what did you have to do to the tractor to replace this? ( i got under there in better light and I could actually see the fan wiggling as I jiggled the shaft! Pretty sure she's shot.) and looking it over it looks like a couple hours to take off the rops, fenders and platform??? to get at the bugger? I kinda shook my head when I removed the access plug on the left side of the console and spotted the grease zerk on the u joint and how in the world did they expect anyone to lube that? are the Kubota bearings the same as the deere bearings? would the grease zerk supply them with grease? Once I get at the shaft how does it come off the engine and tranny?

Oh I see the link you posted is the very same article I started reading when that virus shut me down earlier!
thanks!

/ HELP!! 2210 bad vibratioins !! #8  
Here is the part number 37410-13722 Joint Kit from Kubota. I would suggest taking the rear u joint out first then remove the roll pins in the front. Replace the front first and reinstall the front then put the rear universal together in place and you won't have to split the tractor.

Thanks Bill, did you ever compare the driveshaft bearing to those in the mower deck shaft?
Gonna be ****, the HOT weather continues, sweat and motor oil (grunt grunt grunt!)!

/ HELP!! 2210 bad vibratioins !! #10  
I never check into that. Might be an option, but when I had the deere dealer checking for them...they couldn't find any that would fit. He was the one to recommend Kubota.