825I making strange noise

/ 825I making strange noise #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
I felt it might be best to post on the JD forum rather than the ATV/UTV forum for this question. My 825I Gator has about 140 hours on it and has given me very good service. I do not know very much about the innards of the CVT setup, or drivetrain in general, but recently my Gator has begun making a terrible racket from what sounds like underneath the vehicle. The best way to describe it is that it feels as though it is in four wheel drive (it is not) with the associated "drivetrain noise" one would expect then. I have also noted a clunk (almost sounds like something being dropped) when putting my shift lever from neutral into high that comes from the engagement arm area at the CVT, but nothing obviously appears loose. It does not do this when in reverse or low range. I could convince myself that there is a lag in throttle v. vehicle movement, but it--if there at all--is not much. The machine seems to run very well and mostly the rattling and clunking noises that are new are my biggest concern. It is clearly different from prior, though I have perceived a grinding noise coming from the front diff area since owning the Gator though my dealer said many sound that way and it has resulted in no other trouble. My belief is that the entirety of these current findings are coming from at or near the CVT housing/cover but nothing is loose on inspection. I should note that there is almost no flat ground where I live, it is either up or down. I do plow snow, but do so in low range and we got very little snow last year. I rarely pull a 6x12 trailer, but not recently. I do haul things and spend 75% of my time on either pavement or packed gravel roads with occasional challenging terrain mixed in. I frequently use low range to descend in these areas because it checks speed and on occasion my speed will increase to the max of 20-21 mph requiring foot breaking in addition to the engine braking and I do not know if this could be adding to belt wear--though I was told in the past it would not. Since the machine operates OK, I am hoping someone well-associated with this finding and/or with service issues on these machines could offer some insight to perhaps assist me in avoiding the 2.5 hours one way drive to my dealer unless I really needed to go. Thanks.

John M

/ 825I making strange noise #3  
I felt it might be best to post on the JD forum rather than the ATV/UTV forum for this question. My 825I Gator has about 140 hours on it and has given me very good service. I do not know very much about the innards of the CVT setup, or drivetrain in general, but recently my Gator has begun making a terrible racket from what sounds like underneath the vehicle. The best way to describe it is that it feels as though it is in four wheel drive (it is not) with the associated "drivetrain noise" one would expect then. I have also noted a clunk (almost sounds like something being dropped) when putting my shift lever from neutral into high that comes from the engagement arm area at the CVT, but nothing obviously appears loose. It does not do this when in reverse or low range. I could convince myself that there is a lag in throttle v. vehicle movement, but it--if there at all--is not much. The machine seems to run very well and mostly the rattling and clunking noises that are new are my biggest concern. It is clearly different from prior, though I have perceived a grinding noise coming from the front diff area since owning the Gator though my dealer said many sound that way and it has resulted in no other trouble. My belief is that the entirety of these current findings are coming from at or near the CVT housing/cover but nothing is loose on inspection. I should note that there is almost no flat ground where I live, it is either up or down. I do plow snow, but do so in low range and we got very little snow last year. I rarely pull a 6x12 trailer, but not recently. I do haul things and spend 75% of my time on either pavement or packed gravel roads with occasional challenging terrain mixed in. I frequently use low range to descend in these areas because it checks speed and on occasion my speed will increase to the max of 20-21 mph requiring foot breaking in addition to the engine braking and I do not know if this could be adding to belt wear--though I was told in the past it would not. Since the machine operates OK, I am hoping someone well-associated with this finding and/or with service issues on these machines could offer some insight to perhaps assist me in avoiding the 2.5 hours one way drive to my dealer unless I really needed to go. Thanks.

John M

This is a known problem, I would take it to the dealer when you get a chance. I think they replace the front drive shaft, that includes a new cairer bearing. Maybe you could talk to them, and have them send it to you instead of having to drive all that way. You would just have to change it out yourself.