Loader John Deere 1120 hydraulic oil type and how to check

/ John Deere 1120 hydraulic oil type and how to check #1  

Gordk

Tractor
John Deere 1120
I have recently purchased a John Deere 1120. I have no operators or service manual. I believe all hydraulics e.g. steering, the loader and the rear lifts are all operated from the trany/diff oil. The dip stick is located on the right side below the seat. It has a red coloured oil that looks like car oil.
My questions are
1. I'am i right on what the hydraulics run?
2. What is the right type of oil. Is Universal tractor fluild (TDH) good oil for the hydraulics on this unit?
3. The unit has a "park" on the transmission - so do you check the hydraulic oil cold or with the engine running?

Thanks.

Gordk

/ John Deere 1120 hydraulic oil type and how to check #2  
JD Hy-Gard or it's equivalent hyd oil which isn't red in color. Yes you are correct in that the dipstick you referred to takes care of ALL the oil levels except the engine. Check hyd oil with engine running.

/ John Deere 1120 hydraulic oil type and how to check
Thank you very much. This has been very helpful.

/ John Deere 1120 hydraulic oil type and how to check #5  
buickanddeere
I'll bet that anyone that can boot up a computer can find JD's well published 800 phone #.

/ John Deere 1120 hydraulic oil type and how to check #6  
Not mentioned is you check the trans/hydraulic oil by setting the dip stick back on the tube, but do not screw it back on.
Since the oil is red and reccommended oil is not, I would change it then you know what you have. Also change the filter and clean the screen.

Thank you very much. I have changed the oil and filter and tested the tractor (hauled out some large logs and place for a mill to come in today. The tractor is oil and smokes a bit but starts , runs and has good hydraulics. So far so good.

Gordk

Thank you. Appreciate your response.

Thank you. Your response was useful and appreciated.