I think I screwed up - Tires R1 vs R4

/ I think I screwed up - Tires R1 vs R4 #1  

crowbar032

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 150, TO-35, John Deere 5065E, Caterpiller 953 track loader, NH LS170 Skid Steer
I bought a new 5065E with a 553 loader and got the R4 tires on it. I think I would like the R1's better after using it. I was pulling some logs over the weekend and it would just spin and dig a hole going up hills. As a disclaimer, I don't have weights yet. I'm going to add 4 107lb weights to each side (856 total) to see if this helps remedy the issue. I have a hay field to plow after I add weights and I'll find out then how the additional weight helps with traction. I should have listened to my gut and got the R1's to start with, but I though the R4's would be better/easier on the front end for loader work. Live and learn, I guess.

Guess I should start looking to see if anyone wants to trade rims and tires as I'm sure I can't afford to buy new rims and tires.

/ I think I screwed up - Tires R1 vs R4 #2  
I wouldn't think you'd have trouble trading since the R1's are cheaper. Ask the dealer.

/ I think I screwed up - Tires R1 vs R4 #3  
In addition to adding the weight (which will help a lot) also drop your air pressure in the rears to a 12-18 lb range. (Start high and work down until you feel the "pull").

However you are right, the R1s would have been a better choice, both for traction and self-cleaning in mud. But maybe these changes will allow you get some more work done in the mean time.

/ I think I screwed up - Tires R1 vs R4 #4  
Call your dealer and see what they will do for you. As mentioned, R1's are a good bit cheaper, so you may not be out of pocket any.

But I can see your problem. If you have the loader on, and no weight out back, there is very little weight over the rear tires where most of the traction comes from. So even r1's might dissapoint you without weight and with the loader on.

Get the tires filled and add your weights would make a HUGE difference. But if you go R1's, still get them filled and add the weights and you will be even that much better.

Bout the only benefit to the R4's is as you mention, FEL work, and if you plan on logging alot, the R4's are a little tougher. But for pulling and field work, you cant beat the R1's.

/ I think I screwed up - Tires R1 vs R4 #5  
Two wheel drive or four wheel? If two wheel did your try the differential lock? If four wheel did you engage four wheel drive. Years ago I used to pull logs up a rather steep incline with a Ford 8N without a problem. How steep is the hill, and how were you trying to pull the logs? I used a log grab hooked to the3 point draw bar and would put a slight uplift on the three point and pull away, no problem. Now I don't think I could have pulled much of a log if it was hooked to a twenty five chain stretched out behind the tractor.

/ I think I screwed up - Tires R1 vs R4
Two wheel drive or four wheel? If two wheel did your try the differential lock? If four wheel did you engage four wheel drive. Years ago I used to pull logs up a rather steep incline with a Ford 8N without a problem. How steep is the hill, and how were you trying to pull the logs? I used a log grab hooked to the3 point draw bar and would put a slight uplift on the three point and pull away, no problem. Now I don't think I could have pulled much of a log if it was hooked to a twenty five chain stretched out behind the tractor.

It is a 4x4 and I used the differential lock too. The tractor jumped straight up and down while spinning the tires. I'd guess the hills to be in the 40+ ish degree range. I was probably not pulling in a logger approved manner. I wrapped the chain around the logs and attached them to the tractor drawbar using a clevis. The chain was kept short so the logs were less than 5 feet behind the tractor but still plowed into the dirt. I may have done better if I had a three point hitch drawbar to lift like you did.

Maybe I just need to adjust my overall expectations. I was trying to pull 2 12 foot and 1 14 foot log and each were about 19 inches diameter.

/ I think I screwed up - Tires R1 vs R4 #7  
Were you pulling logs with the loader or the drawbar?

EDIT: whoops. You answered that.

You don't know anything about your tires until you have properly ballasted your tractor. If you don't have a ballast box, your loader is taking a lot of weight off the rear tires. Get a ballast box, and optionally load the tires. Try taking off the loader as a test and see if things improve.

/ I think I screwed up - Tires R1 vs R4 #8  
Maybe I just need to adjust my overall expectations. I was trying to pull 2 12 foot and 1 14 foot log and each were about 19 inches diameter.

You certainly should have been able to pull that. Heck, I think my kubota would near pull that.

38 total feet of 19" logs is only ~75 cu ft by my calculations. Thats only ~3300-3400lbs for average hardwood. Your tractor should have done that easy.

Edit: Allthough 40 degrees uphill, maybe not

/ I think I screwed up - Tires R1 vs R4 #9  
If you take the loader off, just be careful making sure the front end stays on the ground while trying to pull up hill.

/ I think I screwed up - Tires R1 vs R4 #10  
It is a 4x4 and I used the differential lock too. The tractor jumped straight up and down while spinning the tires. I'd guess the hills to be in the 40+ ish degree range. I was probably not pulling in a logger approved manner. I wrapped the chain around the logs and attached them to the tractor drawbar using a clevis. The chain was kept short so the logs were less than 5 feet behind the tractor but still plowed into the dirt. I may have done better if I had a three point hitch drawbar to lift like you did.

I think AG tires would have given the same or worse results. You may have been able to handle the 2-12 foot without a problem. Most people that pull logs with a tractor use a device like this:http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200335943_200335943 . The cost is not that great.

Last edited: