John Deere 8A backhoe

/ John Deere 8A backhoe #1  

chriswheeler

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 970TLB,
I just bought a 970 TLB with a #8A backhoe attached. Was wondering if anyone here has ever replaced the backhoe pins and bushings on the rear of the backhoe ?? These are the are the pivot points for the left and right swing, and up and down on the boom. I notice that the up and down pivot for the boom has almost 1/8" of play between the pin and the housing. To me it looks like I'm going to need to re-bore the holes and go with a oversize pin. But, could be someone here has a better way, would love to hear it, get a little education on the subject. Think the first owner must not have had a grease gun on something like that.
Chris

/ John Deere 8A backhoe #2  
On heavy equipment new material is added with a welder, then it is bored to size and a regular pin is installed

/ John Deere 8A backhoe
If I understand what you are saying, there are no replaceable bushings in the pivots on a john deere 8A and new material must be welded into the base, re-machined ?? ( line bored ) Guess I'm set up to do either, ( home machine shop ) but bushings and new pins sure would have been easier. Thinking at that rate, will save that job for when the snow is flying outside. Sounds like a full tear down, weld, machine back to size. Thanks for the info,
Chris

/ John Deere 8A backhoe #4  
I'm not sure about that particular backhoe, just sharing my experience. You should call your dealer.

/ John Deere 8A backhoe #5  
You may be able to bore and bush the worn holes and replace the pins with standard size. I picked up an old backhoe once that had some worn pin holes and was able to purchase some kingpin bushings that had the same I.D. as the pin O.D. I bored the holes for the kingpin bushings and pressed them in, then reamed to size and used new pins and everything was a-ok.

Frank

/ John Deere 8A backhoe
Parts book is on the way, should be able to see in the breakdown if there are any bushings on the inner part of the hinge for the boom. Just wondering if anyone here had been there, done that, on a 8A. Thanks,
Chris

/ John Deere 8A backhoe #7  
Superglide is talking about a custom job. It shouldn't have anything you can press out from the factory. They weld the tubing in place and it's inner diameter is already about 1" give or take a couple thousandths.

/ John Deere 8A backhoe #8  
The swing frame has replaceable bushings in it. Looks like the early models had a 2" bushing which was then increased to 3" with later serial numbers:

8A Swing Frame.gif

The lower boom has no bushings, just a replaceable pin.
8A Boom Parts.gif

You can go to the John Deere Parts site for more info:
John Deere - Parts Catalog

Best of luck!

Frank

/ John Deere 8A backhoe
Parts book got here this afternoon. Looks like the swing boom will be easier than the lower boom. Looking at the lower boom this afternoon. Think I'll end up air arcing off the 2 outer mount points at the welds, make new ones, weld on one side at a time to maintain alignment. Welding up the bores on these small holes ( 1 3/8" ) would have not been much fun. I'll run a reamer through the inner 1/4" bigger, bush back to size with hardened bushings. Should last longer than I do with some grease every once and awhile. Swing boom should be less than a days work. Think I got a good deal on this one because it had been used hard without any sign of grease used. Should end up being more than worth the time invested. Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
   / John Deere 8A backhoe #10  
You might get lucky and find that you just need to replace the swing & boom pins. At least the swing frame has replaceable bushings. It's possible that due to the BH being built without replaceable boom bushings the pins, not being hardened are very worn. You'll find out as soon as you take it apart. If the pin bores are worn, again I'd have it bored to press in some HD bushings. 1.625" is a standard size and you'll find a good selection of replacement bushings available. I'd suggest you look at Meritor E-5446 bushings (used in kit #R200267). These are part of a truck king pin replacement kit @ 1.625" I.D. and they will take a beating. Here's a link to a DMR bushing catalog with some info you might find helpful:

http://www.dmr-usa.com/pdfs/245_DMR_Bushing-Catalogue-C0G-W01.pdf

Good luck.

Frank

Last edited: