Engine Shutdown 4720.

/ Engine Shutdown 4720. #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
I have a 2007 4720 cab which I bought with 215 hours- I now have 350. Shortly after I got it in January, I was plowing and got back on the machine and turned all the lights on. Engine shutdown immediately-like key was turned/fuel cut off. I monkeyed around the fuse panel and after a few minutes it started again-no issue. This has happened a couple of times since when while tractor was running, I would turn lights on and it would stop-last time it did it, I was quick enough to turn lights to off and it kept running.

Last week I had it at our fairgrounds where it plays a major roll in trash removal and one of my kids couldn't get it started-like dash lights come on but no crank. I had him push on all the fuse panels and it started.

The suspense is killing me! Any suggestions?

/ Engine Shutdown 4720. #2  
Remove and clean all 4 battery cable connections. The battery ground cable is one of the most overlooked battery cables.

/ Engine Shutdown 4720.
Thx Jim-will do-but if that were the issue, why would turning the lights on cause a shutdown?

/ Engine Shutdown 4720. #4  
It could be the draw that the lights put on the electrical system.

The battery and/or it's connections are too weak to power the engine's electrical system and the lights at the same time. Clean the connections and top of the battery with a charger.

/ Engine Shutdown 4720.
Thx-Cobra-that's two votes for the battery connector issue-that you John?