3-Point Hitch JD x740 2WD pulling a box blade

/ JD x740 2WD pulling a box blade #1  

tlansberry

Tractor
JD x740
I was planning on having the category-1 3-point hitch installed on my 2wd X740 then purchasing a 48" box blade from Everything Attachments. I want to maintain my 400' gravel driveway and also other uses such as clear and level areas for paver patios and walkways through my acreage, contour an area around a pond (if I ever get one dug), etc.

I had a New Holland 4wd TC30 with box blade, bush hog, and ph digger as my first tractor, but traded into the JD once the bush hogging turned into mowing around obstacles.

Before I spend the rather large sum to have all this done on my JD X740, I began to wonder if having only 2wd and turf tires would prevent me from having decent performance from the blade? If I need 4wd I'm pretty well screwed, but I'd rather know now than after spending ~$1500. The driveway (and the 12 acre parcel) are not flat - there aer some rollong hills, etc. Nothing real steep but near the end of the driveway it does slope down a decent amount. I use the 48" JD snow thrower in the winter using chains on the tires, wheel weights, and all extra rear suitcase weights to get traction. Any helpful comments appreciated.

/ JD x740 2WD pulling a box blade #2  
Maybe with weights and chains it might be ok but my BX 1500 has a hard time pulling a 5 foot landscaping rake unless it is in 4wd.

/ JD x740 2WD pulling a box blade #3  
Well you will have problems but you can do it with 2wd. I in advertantly forget to use 4wd now and then. You are not going to be able to dig deep in one swipe but if you are just maintaining the drive shouldn't be much of an issue.

/ JD x740 2WD pulling a box blade
I am thinking the cost is not worth it for me then - ~$1500 is alot for just doing light maintenance. If I spend that much I have to have several uses and at least one significant benefit. All I see is frustration. Maybe I can rig up something to drag behind....not in a good mood thinking now I have an expensive mower/sometimes snow thrower when I was counting on much more with all the hype in the literature.

/ JD x740 2WD pulling a box blade #5  
I think you're asking too much of a 2WD garden tractor (even if it's the cream of the crop). For driveway maintenance, I'd suggest you make up some kind of drag, or a type of land-plane arrangement you can tow. For the other tasks you mentioned, I'd think a heavier 4WD tractor makes more sense.

/ JD x740 2WD pulling a box blade #6  
I do quite a bit of boxblade and landplane work with my x749 and would think it would be very difficult to do without 4x4. Tillers, landscape rakes and many other tools can be handy and would work fine with the x740.

/ JD x740 2WD pulling a box blade
Thanks for the info - that's what I was afraid of - I have no use for a tiller, and a rake, while useful, is not cost effective if I have to install the 3-pt for $900 for the work I want to do. I guess I'll cancel the 3-pt install for now and look for some type of drag or land plane to do the driveway part.

It looks like the land planes mostly are 3-point attachments as well, so what about using a drag harrow with the tines facing forward? Something like a 4' x 4' or 4' x 8' pulled behind? Would be nice if someone has used one for driveway maintenance to know. Maybe add a little weight to the top with an old wood skid or other?

Last edited:
   / JD x740 2WD pulling a box blade #8  
Thanks for the info - that's what I was afraid of - I have no use for a tiller, and a rake, while useful, is not cost effective if I have to install the 3-pt for $900 for the work I want to do. I guess I'll cancel the 3-pt install for now and look for some type of drag or land plane to do the driveway part.

It looks like the land planes mostly are 3-point attachments as well, so what about using a drag harrow with the tines facing forward? Something like a 4' x 4' or 4' x 8' pulled behind? Would be nice if someone has used one for driveway maintenance to know. Maybe add a little weight to the top with an old wood skid or other?

I have a 425, and to maintain my driveway, I drag a set of harrows (points down) to break up the gravel and help level. Then I flip them over with a 4 X 6 bolted on the flat side of the harrows and drag that to do final level. The 4 X 6 is on the rear section of the harrows.

Good Luck,
Jd3x

/ JD x740 2WD pulling a box blade #9  
I do not know whether one of the DR driveway rakes suits your needs or not. I have never seen one in use, but just know they are tow behind and show usage behind a smaller garden tractor than a 740. As for my opinion, it is a little different than some of those posted. It is true that a 740 will have some trouble pulling a full box blade of material uphill and that it will not work as well as a 4wd machine. However, one can make it work; it depends on how much one wants to spend. Chains or bar type tires plus loading the rear tires, plus running a 72 pound starter and 50 pound ad-on weight on each wheel would give you around 360# of rear ballast. Most limited cat one box blades weigh in the 180-250 pound range. It you were to find one on the lighter end of that, you likely could pull it OK. My driveway is about 20% at the top and until about 3 years ago it was gravel. I initially maintained it with a 595X series and a 48" box blade. It did fine in two wheel drive until I hit the really steep part then I would have to put it in 4wd (that model was not full time 4wd at that time). Many of the gradients were 5-10% even in the flatter parts and I was running HDAP tires, loaded rear tires and 72 pound starter weights only. Yes having all wheels driving meant I could pull a loaded 48" BB up or down hill, but if I did not need to be so aggressive I could do the same work in two wheel drive. With regard to your question I think the issue is doable v. easily doable.

John M

/ JD x740 2WD pulling a box blade #10  
I do not know whether one of the DR driveway rakes suits your needs or not. I have never seen one in use, but just know they are tow behind and show usage behind a smaller garden tractor than a 740. As for my opinion, it is a little different than some of those posted. It is true that a 740 will have some trouble pulling a full box blade of material uphill and that it will not work as well as a 4wd machine. However, one can make it work; it depends on how much one wants to spend. Chains or bar type tires plus loading the rear tires, plus running a 72 pound starter and 50 pound ad-on weight on each wheel would give you around 360# of rear ballast. Most limited cat one box blades weigh in the 180-250 pound range. It you were to find one on the lighter end of that, you likely could pull it OK. My driveway is about 20% at the top and until about 3 years ago it was gravel. I initially maintained it with a 595X series and a 48" box blade. It did fine in two wheel drive until I hit the really steep part then I would have to put it in 4wd (that model was not full time 4wd at that time). Many of the gradients were 5-10% even in the flatter parts and I was running HDAP tires, loaded rear tires and 72 pound starter weights only. Yes having all wheels driving meant I could pull a loaded 48" BB up or down hill, but if I did not need to be so aggressive I could do the same work in two wheel drive. With regard to your question I think the issue is doable v. easily doable.

John M

John,
Anything is possible but would you recommend he buy and mount extra wheel weights, 3PH, boxblade and maybe tire chains just to smooth out the drive?

I wouldn't.