Smashed GN trailer into back of my 5058M :(

/ Smashed GN trailer into back of my 5058M :( #1  

pclausen

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5085M, Ford 1700, JD GT235
Smashed GN trailer into back of my 5085M :(

So I picked up one of those 3pt hitch trailer movers from tsc today. Hooked it up to the 5085M and pulled the trailer out of the barn and parked it in a semi level area so that I could load equipment into it for hauling a few miles down the road to the other property this weekend.

Well, after loading the 3209 bush hog towards the rear using the pallet forks (making the front of the trailer real light), I picked up the Woods finish mover and realized I had to move the trailer forward just a little to have proper access. Well after picking up the trailer with the 3pt mounted ball and moving it forward about 10 feet, when I dropped the trailer back down and started pulling away, the trailer started chasing me and was picking up speed and it was getting steeper and steeper!

I was trying to decide between just getting out of the way completely or stopping the tractor and let the trailer rear end me. I opted for the latter as I would otherwise have lost the trailer and bush hog in a bad crash as the hill would have gotten very steep within another 20 feet or so, at which point it would have dropped down about 200 feet.

So here are some pics of the aftermath. I will never load a trailer again without chocking the wheels first!

In these 1st pics, the GN is stuck to the tractor. I had to keep lowering the trailer until it eventually snapped free.

gnimpact-1.jpg

gnimpact-3.jpg

Closeup of the impact zone. I think I got very lucking that nothing mechanical/hydraulic was damaged at all. It appears to be all cosmetic.

gnimpact-4.jpg

View of the mess in the cab.

gnimpact-5.jpg

For some strange reason, the tractor won't go into gear. So its stuck where it is until the dealer comes out to look at it. I have the 16x16 PowrReverser transmission, and when I move the forward/reverse lever in either direction, the yellow N light just flashes. The impact wasn't that great, so I'm at a loss as to why I can get it to go into gear.

Fortunately I have the Deere UltraGard insurance which I'm pretty sure will cover this.

This definitely put a damper on my day. :(

Last edited:
   / Smashed GN trailer into back of my 5058M :( #2  
Glad you are OK!!!! Man thats gotta hurt.

/ Smashed GN trailer into back of my 5058M :( #3  
Yikes! That's a scary moment. I had a similar scare with my boat & trailer recently, it somehow popped off the ball mount (even though it was seemed secured). I got VERY lucky and it hit the BH subframe and didn't damage the tractor. I think you probably made the right choice by stopping the trailer, no telling what would have happened if it got away. Hopefully the damage isn't too bad and the gear thing turns out to be something very minor.

/ Smashed GN trailer into back of my 5058M :( #4  
Ouch!

Probably not as bad as it looks, just cosmetic as you say.

Rear window, wiper and some paint and you should be good to go.

Ive had a similar thing happen to me, loading the tractor while the trailer was attached to the truck the rear wheels lifted.. The whole thing, truck, trailer and tractor started heading to the bottom of the hill. It got exciting until I floored it to get the tractor on the trailer and weight back on the wheels.

Now I always chalk the wheels. I plan on adding some drop feet to the rear of the trailer as well.

/ Smashed GN trailer into back of my 5058M :( #5  
Could it be the seat sensor?

/ Smashed GN trailer into back of my 5058M :( #6  
Ouch, sorry to hear that happened I am glad that you are not hurt.

/ Smashed GN trailer into back of my 5058M :( #7  
that had to hurt taking these pictures. glad your allright.

/ Smashed GN trailer into back of my 5058M :( #8  
Glad you are okay.. Scary.

/ Smashed GN trailer into back of my 5058M :(
Yeah, it definitely could have been much worse both for me, the tractor and the trailer. I was in a bit of a rush trying to get everything loaded and the trailer back in the barn before dinner. It generally never works out trying to rush things...

Kloudbuster, I bet you might be right about it being the seat sensor! It definitely appears to be some sort of safety mechanism that is preventing it from going into gear.

I'm going to check on the price of the rear glass. I can't imagine it cost more than the $500 deductible on the Deere UltraGard.

I'm wondering what type of filler I should use on the fender if I do the repairs myself? It appears to be made out of a composite of sorts.

/ Smashed GN trailer into back of my 5058M :( #10  
Thank God you are OK. That must have been a hard desision to make. As was posting pictures of your mistake. That took courage.

Before seeing the pictures (from the title) my guess was you backed the trailer into your tractor while hooked up to your truck.

Let us know the outcome of the tranny issue.