Be careful of dealer installed block heaters

/ Be careful of dealer installed block heaters #1  

dannyk

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota and John Deere tractors 20-40HP; skid steer loader
I ordered a 2520 with block heater that I assume was installed by the dealer. Anyway, I noticed that the antifreeze mix was way over 50:50, i.e., completely off scale on my Prestone tester that checks out perfectly well on my other machines. After thinking about this for a while, I realized that what probably happened was that when the block heater was installed, antifreeze was lost and then was replaced by 100% antifreeze rather than 50:50. At least this scenario would account for the faulty mixture in the radiator.

I did run the engine with the bad mix until the 50-hour service. I wonder if I did any damage doing this? When I did the 50-hour service, I just drained the radiator and replaced the fluid with 50:50 ASTM 4985 (Prestone) as specified in the manual. Of course it's still a bit on the concentrated side because I didn't drain the engine block. I think the engine block plug that the manual says to open is where the block heater is installed. I got about 3 quarts of the supposedly 3.6 quarts of fluid.

So I post this mostly as a caution for people to test their antifreeze after a block heater installation, and to see if anyone thinks I should do a complete radiator flush.

Thanks, Danny

/ Be careful of dealer installed block heaters #2  
If you're gonna drain and fill anyway, I don't think a flush is necessary. A more important concern is whether the engine temp ran significantly over normal while the bad mix was in there. If no, going back to 50/50 should be the end of it. If yes, I'd solicit a complete engine diagnosis from your dealer - with emphasis on the effects of extended overheating.

//greg//

/ Be careful of dealer installed block heaters
Well, there is no temp gauge on the 2520, but the idiot light didn't come on, so I have to assume no overheating.

/ Be careful of dealer installed block heaters #4  
I think you guys maybe over thinking this one. While 50/50 mix is the typical recommendation a mix of 60/40 and even in some extremes 70/30 may be needed to provide the proper freeze or boil over protection. If you look around on this sight their are some threads that discuss this very topic. So I'd think as long as it wasn't straight antifreeze no real harm was done. You could have just drained some out and added water ran for a while and rechecked to see if you were getting closer to the ratio you desire.

/ Be careful of dealer installed block heaters #5  
I guess depending on your ambient air temps, it is pretty hard to over heat the 2520. Even with my grill full, radiator screen half full and my radiator full of dust my temps never get real warm when it is moving. I did install a water temp guage on mine.

When I changed from the stock JD oil my temps drop more on average running.

I doubt very seriously you did anything to the tractor.

In my experience with JD service department, I think their goal is repeat business though.

/ Be careful of dealer installed block heaters #6  
I think you guys maybe over thinking this one. While 50/50 mix is the typical recommendation a mix of 60/40 and even in some extremes 70/30 may be needed to provide the proper freeze or boil over protection. .
I sincerely doubt many folks reading this will be storing their tractor at -34 Fahrenheit. That's how low the 50/50 mix of typical new anti-freeze formulas protect. At the upper end, 50/50 is good for up to +265 Fahrenheit. The days of mixing stronger than 50/50 are behind most of us. Matter of fact, I don't even buy full strength anymore. I simply grab one of the 50/50 containers off the shelf. Costs a bit more, but it's less mess and less work.

//greg//

/ Be careful of dealer installed block heaters #7  
nothing wrong with too much coolant and only 50 hours

/ Be careful of dealer installed block heaters #8  
You have absolutely nothing to worry about. Period. No need to flush, just drain a little coolant and add a little water. Run the engine to mix the new water in and re-check when cool. Repeat until you get to that -30 to -35 rating.

Greg, I am that guy who worries about storage at -34. ;) Actually I shoot for -50 or so in the winter, the coldest I have had in the last 4 years where I live is -45F. I usually mix it rich in November and lean things back to 50/50 in April.

/ Be careful of dealer installed block heaters #9  
If you're gonna drain and fill anyway, I don't think a flush is necessary. A more important concern is whether the engine temp ran significantly over normal while the bad mix was in there. If no, going back to 50/50 should be the end of it. If yes, I'd solicit a complete engine diagnosis from your dealer - with emphasis on the effects of extended overheating.

//greg//

I'm curious to why you are concerned about overheating with a richer than 50/50 mixture. I am not aware of, nor have ever heard why an over 50/50 blend would/could cause overheating problems, or cause additional damage if an engine was overheated.

/ Be careful of dealer installed block heaters #10  
im sorry to say but this really is a rediculous thing to be alarmed about. Come on, too much coolant in a machine for 50 hours and be worried about machine damage and people saying to have the machine fully gone through by the dealer. Having it flushed etc etc. Come on people. Some people must be a delaers WORST nightmare