Pre charge 12.67V
Post charge 14.02V
20 min mow 13.81V
15 hours 12.76V
Disconnect battery
10 hrs 12.73V
14 more hrs 12.7V
Much later (less than a week) 12.67V.
Connected battery but mower would not start.

Any ideas?
Could something like the starter solenoid have a short which drains the battery?

/ Battery & electrical problem #2  
Your battery numbers look good. But, did you do the battery readings under load? Also, how old is your battery. If it is badly sulfated it will give good numbers except under load. Did you try jumping the battery from a car or something with a known good battery? That will eliminate any questions about the starter solenoid. It's highly unlikely that a starter solenoid would have a short, and if it did you would get one heck of a spark when you hooked up the battery.

/ Battery & electrical problem #3  
Battery is likely weak or a bad connection. Even though the battery produces 12 volts, it must produce enough amperage to start the engine. Try another battery or measure the voltage as you start the engine.

/ Battery & electrical problem #4  
cgw said:
Could something like the starter solenoid have a short which drains the battery?

Yes, you could definitely have a short somewhere including the solenoid but that is the fun part of electrical, finding where it is.

/ Battery & electrical problem
I hesitate to think it is the battery because I have had issues with a few batteries now.
Maybe two problems?
1. Battery is discharging while connected to the mower when not in use.
2. 12.6V will not start mower.

/ Battery & electrical problem #6  
I hesitate to think it is the battery because I have had issues with a few batteries now.
Maybe two problems?
1. Battery is discharging while connected to the mower when not in use.
2. 12.6V will not start mower.

12.67v is full charge and good battery.

But as others said, clamp the meter onto the battery and THEN try to start it. See if the voltage drops WAY down. If it does, that means SOMETHING is drawing juice from the battery. How far it drops could be an indication but not necessarily mean a bad battery.

If the drop is minimal, like say down to 12.4 or something, the battery is likely fine but you have a bad solenoid, switch, or bad connection somewhere.

Someone else mentioned it, but try jumping with a known good car battery. If it still does nothing, its something else other than a battery. If the battery makes it start, your battery is bad.

/ Battery & electrical problem #7  
Also, how old is this battery? I usually find that lawn mower batteries only last 3-4 years tops. Cause most of them just sit for half a year. Which isnt the best on them. And they are much smaller and have smaller plates than a typical 12v car battery.

/ Battery & electrical problem #8  
   / Battery & electrical problem #9  
You are going to think I am crazy, but what engine do you have? OHV Briggs? and how long has it been since you set the valve clearance..?
No start problems on Briggs OHV engines are not electrical in nature, but mechanical. I learned that the hard way, after replacing batterys, solenoids. and starters.

( HOW TO ADJUST VALVES) FIX HARD TO START Lawn Tractor with OHV Briggs Engine- MUST SEE- Part 1/2 - YouTube

James K0UA

Wow, I learn something new everyday. You say you experienced this first hand??

I can clearly see why one would think starter, battery, or solenoid from just sitting on the seat. cause all you hear is that typical "click".

It isnt until the hood is popped that you can actually see the motor trying to turn over.:confused2:

Wonder what is different and why kohler and kaw motors dont have that issue?? Or do they:rolleyes:

/ Battery & electrical problem #10  
Wow, I learn something new everyday. You say you experienced this first hand??

I can clearly see why one would think starter, battery, or solenoid from just sitting on the seat. cause all you hear is that typical "click".

It isnt until the hood is popped that you can actually see the motor trying to turn over.:confused2:

Wonder what is different and why kohler and kaw motors dont have that issue?? Or do they:rolleyes:
Boy did I ever experience this first hand.. very frustrating.. I still have a new in the box starter if someone needs one..(they don't take them back).. The funny part is the first thing I replaced was a burned up start solenoid. The contacts were pitted bad... from all that excessive current the starter is drawing by the valve timing being off.. That "fixed it" the engine would start.. BUT it still drew more current than it should, but you go on your merry way thinking the problem is fixes.. then it wont start some day.. and you check battery .. humm maybe a little low.. charge it ... it may or may not start.... so you go buy new batteries.. and charge them up and put them in.. and wala... motor starts...but might not start next time... well.. maybe the new battery is no good... take it back to wal-mart.. they test it and say.. "it meets specs".. after 2 or 3 batteries you buy new starter.. "the old one must be draggy" right...put on new starter.. does not fix a darn thing..The mower might or might not start with a fully charged battery.. but is always on the "edge" at that point I got tired of cleaning connections, replacing parts, and went to the internet.. Behold.. thousand of hits about Briggs and Stratton OHV engines with starting problems.. Go adjust valves.. and Presto my POS mower engine starts like a new one. So I sold the mower.:)

James K0UA