My first problem with my 5105M

/ My first problem with my 5105M #1  

MWRR

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 5105M & IH Farmall 544
I was almost done clipping my pastures with my 9ft Kuhns disc mower when the remote cylinder lever malfunctioned when I raised the mower. I tried to use one of the other remotes but it wouldn't work properly either. I called my Deere dealer and they came right out and picked up the tractor. Three days later they brought the tractor back and she is running like new again. Service manager said that a part failed in the remote valve spooler and they had to replace the whole valve assembly. They even gave it a good washing before they bought it home. Nice to have a supportive dealer.

/ My first problem with my 5105M #2  
Glad it was fixed fast. That is a nice machine! Any problems cutting with that setup? I was wondering if you can cut with 540E? I use 7 footer on the 5300 and could use a little more HP in thick stuff.

/ My first problem with my 5105M #3  
I'm glad its fixed too! I recently put a trade on my 5085M for the new MY2012 5085M.

/ My first problem with my 5105M
Glad it was fixed fast. That is a nice machine! Any problems cutting with that setup? I was wondering if you can cut with 540E? I use 7 footer on the 5300 and could use a little more HP in thick stuff.

Mistyridgefarm, I run my 9ft Kuhns disc mower in 540E and have no issue with power. I mow right at 10 mph and could run faster if it wasn't so rough. My biggest challenge is making turns; I'm running so fast that you have to throttle way down to make the turn and then throttle back up. Again, the 5105M has no problem getting back to full speed again.

One of the features that I find myself using frequently is the Hi/Lo switch. It sure is handy when you're trying to keep the square baler full and you need to slow down in a extra heavy spot.

I've not used my 5105M on my JD 535 round baler yet (I have my monitor mounted on the IH 544 and haven't taken time to move it). The baler is a load behind the IH544 (not short on horsepower but the physical weight). I'm anxious to see how the deere handles the baler.

/ My first problem with my 5105M #5  
Thanks for the feedback. There is a 5095M or 5100M in my future. It is good to hear how well they do from real users. I wasn't sure I needed the 32/16 trans but I think you convinced me. I have the same fun you described when square baling and constant shifting gets old. Besides, it never seems I can find the perfect gear when tedding.

Please let us know how it handles the round baler. I have to get something different than the Vermeer 504 I use now. It is just too finicky and getting parts is not as simple as stopping by the dealer. I burned a bearing Friday and had to finish up the field in squares. Second cutting with stemmy Johnson grass does not make good squares but getting parts for the Vermeer will take too long.

Again, thanks for sharing your experiences with the beautiful machine.

/ My first problem with my 5105M #6  
Mistyridgefarm said:
Thanks for the feedback. There is a 5095M or 5100M in my future. It is good to hear how well they do from real users. I wasn't sure I needed the 32/16 trans but I think you convinced me. I have the same fun you described when square baling and constant shifting gets old. Besides, it never seems I can find the perfect gear when tedding.

Please let us know how it handles the round baler. I have to get something different than the Vermeer 504 I use now. It is just too finicky and getting parts is not as simple as stopping by the dealer. I burned a bearing Friday and had to finish up the field in squares. Second cutting with stemmy Johnson grass does not make good squares but getting parts for the Vermeer will take too long.

Again, thanks for sharing your experiences with the beautiful machine.

Can't the bearing be cross referenced and bought at a local auto parts store?

/ My first problem with my 5105M #7  
Not sure yet but maybe. I haven't had time to break it down yet to see all that needs replacing.

/ My first problem with my 5105M #9  
I wanted another cab tractor, with a syncro trans and narrow tires for getting in the rows, and continuous flow hydraulics. When i'm sidedressing with the 5225 my arm is always sore at the end of the day, now I can just yank and away I go. Since no one uses it I decided to get a better one.