Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Silver Member MWRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    146
    Location
    East Central Illinois
    Tractor
    John Deere 5105M & IH Farmall 544

    Default My first problem with my 5105M

    I was almost done clipping my pastures with my 9ft Kuhns disc mower when the remote cylinder lever malfunctioned when I raised the mower. I tried to use one of the other remotes but it wouldn't work properly either. I called my Deere dealer and they came right out and picked up the tractor. Three days later they brought the tractor back and she is running like new again. Service manager said that a part failed in the remote valve spooler and they had to replace the whole valve assembly. They even gave it a good washing before they bought it home. Nice to have a supportive dealer.
    MWRR
    Illinois, 180 acres, 80 acres hay, cattle, JD 5105M,IH-Farmall 544, Kuhn 700 GMD HDII, Case 580B, JD 535 Baler, MF 124.

  2. #2
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    138
    Location
    Pulaski, TN
    Tractor
    JD 5300, JD5100M

    Default

    Glad it was fixed fast. That is a nice machine! Any problems cutting with that setup? I was wondering if you can cut with 540E? I use 7 footer on the 5300 and could use a little more HP in thick stuff.

  3. #3
    Platinum Member Edward. S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    844
    Location
    Somewhere
    Tractor
    John Deere

    Default Re: My first problem with my 5105M

    I'm glad its fixed too! I recently put a trade on my 5085M for the new MY2012 5085M.

  4. #4
    Silver Member MWRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    146
    Location
    East Central Illinois
    Tractor
    John Deere 5105M & IH Farmall 544

    Default Re: My first problem with my 5105M

    Quote Originally Posted by Mistyridgefarm View Post
    Glad it was fixed fast. That is a nice machine! Any problems cutting with that setup? I was wondering if you can cut with 540E? I use 7 footer on the 5300 and could use a little more HP in thick stuff.
    Mistyridgefarm, I run my 9ft Kuhns disc mower in 540E and have no issue with power. I mow right at 10 mph and could run faster if it wasn't so rough. My biggest challenge is making turns; I'm running so fast that you have to throttle way down to make the turn and then throttle back up. Again, the 5105M has no problem getting back to full speed again.

    One of the features that I find myself using frequently is the Hi/Lo switch. It sure is handy when you're trying to keep the square baler full and you need to slow down in a extra heavy spot.

    I've not used my 5105M on my JD 535 round baler yet (I have my monitor mounted on the IH 544 and haven't taken time to move it). The baler is a load behind the IH544 (not short on horsepower but the physical weight). I'm anxious to see how the deere handles the baler.
    MWRR
    Illinois, 180 acres, 80 acres hay, cattle, JD 5105M,IH-Farmall 544, Kuhn 700 GMD HDII, Case 580B, JD 535 Baler, MF 124.

  5. #5
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    138
    Location
    Pulaski, TN
    Tractor
    JD 5300, JD5100M

    Default

    Thanks for the feedback. There is a 5095M or 5100M in my future. It is good to hear how well they do from real users. I wasn't sure I needed the 32/16 trans but I think you convinced me. I have the same fun you described when square baling and constant shifting gets old. Besides, it never seems I can find the perfect gear when tedding.

    Please let us know how it handles the round baler. I have to get something different than the Vermeer 504 I use now. It is just too finicky and getting parts is not as simple as stopping by the dealer. I burned a bearing Friday and had to finish up the field in squares. Second cutting with stemmy Johnson grass does not make good squares but getting parts for the Vermeer will take too long.

    Again, thanks for sharing your experiences with the beautiful machine.

  6. #6
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    64
    Location
    LUzerne,MI
    Tractor
    JD 3520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mistyridgefarm
    Thanks for the feedback. There is a 5095M or 5100M in my future. It is good to hear how well they do from real users. I wasn't sure I needed the 32/16 trans but I think you convinced me. I have the same fun you described when square baling and constant shifting gets old. Besides, it never seems I can find the perfect gear when tedding.

    Please let us know how it handles the round baler. I have to get something different than the Vermeer 504 I use now. It is just too finicky and getting parts is not as simple as stopping by the dealer. I burned a bearing Friday and had to finish up the field in squares. Second cutting with stemmy Johnson grass does not make good squares but getting parts for the Vermeer will take too long.

    Again, thanks for sharing your experiences with the beautiful machine.
    Can't the bearing be cross referenced and bought at a local auto parts store?

  7. #7
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    138
    Location
    Pulaski, TN
    Tractor
    JD 5300, JD5100M

    Default

    Not sure yet but maybe. I haven't had time to break it down yet to see all that needs replacing.

  8. #8
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,200
    Location
    Red Oak, Texas
    Tractor
    JD 5525 and 5093e Kubota SVL75

    Default Re: My first problem with my 5105M

    Quote Originally Posted by Edward. S View Post
    I'm glad its fixed too! I recently put a trade on my 5085M for the new MY2012 5085M.
    What made you want to upgrade?

    D.
    ----------------------------------
    Darin Divinia
    DDR Longhorns
    Registered Texas Longhorns
    http://www.ddrlonghorns.com/
    Follow us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/DDRLonghorns?ref=ts
    ----------------------------------

  9. #9
    Platinum Member Edward. S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    844
    Location
    Somewhere
    Tractor
    John Deere

    Default Re: My first problem with my 5105M

    I wanted another cab tractor, with a syncro trans and narrow tires for getting in the rows, and continuous flow hydraulics. When i'm sidedressing with the 5225 my arm is always sore at the end of the day, now I can just yank and away I go. Since no one uses it I decided to get a better one.

Similar Threads

  1. Buying Advice JD 5105M vs. JD 6330
    By erervin in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 08-08-2012, 05:36 PM
  2. 2012 5105M
    By Tul01 in forum John Deere Ag Tractors
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-11-2012, 12:04 PM
  3. Our new 5105M
    By Tul01 in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-04-2012, 09:48 PM
  4. My 5105M is at the dealer
    By MWRR in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-30-2011, 10:20 AM
  5. Buying Advice 5105M or 6140
    By Garinda in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 04:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2016 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.