Should new hydro fluid get dirty 20 hrs?

/ Should new hydro fluid get dirty 20 hrs? #1  

iamgott

Bronze Member
Tractor
2000 John Deere 430 Hydro. 32 HP
Ok guys, here's a new one. Oh, about a month ago, I broke the return fluid line on my 4300 hydro. Its the big line underneath, man, talk about a GUSHER!!
Well anyway, I went to the dealer, he gave me the part and 5 gallons of fluid, I knew this wasn't enough, so I bought 2 gallons extra. I also had some at the house which I picked up. I used some of the fluid to flush the system after I got it back together, when I drained it, it was pretty clear, slight tint but no metal to speak of. Since then, I have only put 20 hrs. on this machine, and it just dawned on me, that when I drained it tonight, it was full of graphite and small metal chunks. I dont see how it could have got this dirty in 20 hrs. It has been in the shop "in between". I know they recycle fluid, but if they drained and put my same fluid back in, there would be no reason for it to be this dirty. And Im near positive that there's nothing wrong with the machine, or at least wasn't.
I do know that the mechanic doesn't like me, we have argued a few times and he's probably been reprimanded for not effecting repairs or checking his work, several times with my machine. I hate to say it, but I get the feeling he dumped some nasty stuff in my machine. I'll try and take some pics tomorrow, hopefully, you may be able to judge whether fluid could get this nasty in 20 hrs. Keep in mind, I thoroughly flushed it and put all new fluid in less than 20hrs past. This stuff looks like burnt motor oil, but has a sheen like oil out of a badly burnt tranny "graphite", plus even some small metal chunks. Maybe Im paranoid, but these people are real, weeeell, butheads? Now I guess I have to go out and buy another $60 worth of hydro!!

Any John Deere mechanics out there? Does anyone know if regular heavy duty hydraulic fluid is compatible?
They look, smell and taste the same,,,,,,,,lol

/ Should new hydro fluid get dirty 20 hrs? #2  
I have 4 tractors with hydrostats and 3 of them have over 100 hrs. on the fluid. The fluid in all of them looks and smells the same as when it was new. I don't know if there are clutch packs in the e-hydro, but a true hydrostat uses pistons and a wave plate. Anytime you have a change in color or smell in a hydro or hydraulic actuated transmission it is not a good thing.

/ Should new hydro fluid get dirty 20 hrs?
Hmmmn, this kinda has me worried, I haved looked through the openings in the side where I removed the axle housing. Of what gears and stuff I can see, everything looks pretty good. If this mess was due to wear on my machine, seems I would notice some wear, but then again, its hard to pick up even if you can hold a gear in your hand, much less viewing through an opening, hmmmn.
In my younger days, I worked as a mechanic, off and on. I knew others that would sabatouge "dern nother trick word!". This is one reason why, if possible, I do my own work. I cant help it, but after all Ive seen, I am real paranoid of repair shops, and some air conditioning outfits. I almost feel I should call the dealer and ask if they had to remove and replace the fluid to do a repair, somethins sure not right. In the sight glass, it didn't look that bad, but when I drained it tonight, i could not believe what came out. I think I'm gonna take a tranquilizer and go to bed, and thanks,,, Ed,,,,gott

/ Should new hydro fluid get dirty 20 hrs? #4  
Ed, I've been following all your threads about the 4300. My advice?

1. Get the 4300 working
2. Find a dealer you can trust. Doesn't matter what brand.
3. Trade the 4300 in ASAP.

Or you will keep going from one 'disaster' to another. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Based upon your posts, this dealer is not to be trusted. Find another one fast.

/ Should new hydro fluid get dirty 20 hrs? #5  
Mike's right

But I'd swap 1 and 2.

I am convinced that even the problems that are actually the machines or your own doings, the dealer could have corrected. Even your relationship to John Deere sounds to have been sabatouged by this outfit.

Oh, I never mentioned:
The first machine was a used lease return, when I purchased it it had 800hrs on the meter. When it arrived at the house, my neighbor came over to look at it. All of a sudden he stepped back and said , awwwwww, I know this machine, this is the one they wrecked. He said, they must have put a new hood and fenders on it. I said yes, how did you know? He said, aw, we rented it all the time when our other machine was tied up. Then he asked, how many hours on it? I flipped on the key and it read somethin like 796 hrs. He jumped back again and said BULLS***!!! He said the last time he rented it, "it had like 1600 hrs on it" and that was a long time before it was damaged. So we got to lookin, and you see that the instrument cluster was new, as well as the fenders, and the hood. So we came to the conclusion, that they must have put a new cluster in it and ran it up to 796 hrs. somehow. I believ him because the pivot pins in the loader were completely shot, waddled out plus the loader bucket was thin as paper. It didn't matter so much to me, it ran real good and actually had more power than the brand new one I have now. But eventually, i started having some serious problems with it, and the dealer started making remarks. So one day, I had enough and I asked him about the hours and told him about my friend. He would not deny it. I mean I really put it to him, and he just turned and walked away. To me this is as bad as turning the odemeter on a car back. That was his major selling point when I purchased it. He kept sayin "it only has 800 hrs on it". Oh well, Im done with them, for now on Im goin to the other dealer about 30-40 miles away.,,,gott

/ Should new hydro fluid get dirty 20 hrs? #7  
I'll assume you either still have or can get copies of paperwork on your purchase of the original machine, including the VIN. Ask your neighbor about his rental paperwork and see if he has a copy. If he does, I'd sure Deere would be interested in comparing the two documents, as might the state attorney general's office of consumer protection. I might also suggest you contact Deere to find out who the current owner of the machine might be and see if they also bought it having been represented with improper hours. If you can't get that info, I guarantee you the AG's office can.

I mentioned to you in another post that I thought you ought to pursue contact with Deere further. Reading this only makes me feel even more strongly about this.

Oh, I tell ya, its been a nightmare. That first tractor, they dropped off a trailer and demolished it. No one called me for 2 weeks. When I called to check when it was gonna be done, thats when they told me. Then when I went down to get it, I noticed the side panels were all busted up, and they were gonna try and give it back to me like that. A true nightmare.

Can you imagine the pressure I was under? I try to be reasonable, you know, "a nice guy", but they constantly backed me into a corner and basically, forced me to be a ,,,,,,,***** well you know. Im gonna write 2 letters to John Deere, a short version and a Fukk Version. Im also gonna state that I cannot even go to this dealer for service anymore, so what am I to do? Then I'll mail and fax it twice a day until I run out of paper "one of my sons work for walmart" or someone with authority calls me. I guess at this point, I dont even know what to ask of them, but I feel they should know what has transpired, and what a shame it is someone of authority is so hard to contact. I plan on puttin a web site together, not to bad mouth John deere or its products., but just to tell my story, its truly unbelivable. But its true to be sure. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,gott

/ Should new hydro fluid get dirty 20 hrs? #9  
Your Hydro fluid should NEVER look like that! THere is no reason it should ever look dirty at all. Kubota recomends changing filters but not fliud at 200 hrs, but the fliud and filters are both totaly clean at 200 hrs so we recomend to just wait and do it all at 400hrs. Unless its a Deere thing /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif(just kidding) you've got some major issues! I would concur with all above and get rid of it pronto!

/ Should new hydro fluid get dirty 20 hrs? #10  
What is the latest?
I have been waiting to here.