JD 950 Tractor PTO Continues to Run Advise Appreciated

/ JD 950 Tractor PTO Continues to Run Advise Appreciated #1  

Bladerunner6

Tractor
John Deere 950, and John Deere 5065E w/553 Loader, John Deere Gator XUV 825M
I just got my dad's old JD 950 and after changing the battery it fired right up.

I have a new problem now in that the PTO continues to run unless you hold the PTO selection lever to the rear. Is there a simple adjustment that can be made that will fix this?

Thanks

/ JD 950 Tractor PTO Continues to Run Advise Appreciated
I just got my dad's old JD 950 and after changing the battery it fired right up.

I have a new problem now in that the PTO continues to run unless you hold the PTO selection lever to the rear. Is there a simple adjustment that can be made that will fix this?

Thanks

Bump still looking for advise.

/ JD 950 Tractor PTO Continues to Run Advise Appreciated #3  
Ho man that was 4.5 years ago. My first thought was that I was wondering if it has a two stage clutch and if the pto clutch is rusted to the flywheel or pressure plate. I have no experience with these tractors so I'm just guessing.

/ JD 950 Tractor PTO Continues to Run Advise Appreciated
Ho man that was 4.5 years ago. My first thought was that I was wondering if it has a two stage clutch and if the pto clutch is rusted to the flywheel or pressure plate. I have no experience with these tractors so I'm just guessing.

Thanks for responding. Yes its an old post. I have a 2013 5065D that I use mostly. However, have an old bush hog that I want to use with the 950, but don't want to run it with the PTO live. The PTO disengages if I pull the lever to the rear, but as soon as I let go it immediately starts turning. It's almost as if there is supposed to be some sort of set screw that is loose or out of alignment. I can't find one though and the parts diagram on JD's online parts catalog doesn't really show any clear solution (at least not to me)

/ JD 950 Tractor PTO Continues to Run Advise Appreciated #5  
Do you have the service tech manual?

/ JD 950 Tractor PTO Continues to Run Advise Appreciated #6  
I have a PDF of the manual, if wanted shoot me your email

Joe

/ JD 950 Tractor PTO Continues to Run Advise Appreciated #7  
So I'm going to assume that you have checked out all of the external linkages and that they are fine. Honestly by the look of the parts diagram the only place I can see that something would do like you describe would be the two roll pins going through the clutch release levers inside the clutch housing. Part #4 is pinned onto part #45 by two roll pins#5 & 6. If the roll pins are broken they might only grab after a partial rotation.

John Deere - Parts Catalog. From here you'll need to click on "clutch housing" to get to the right parts diagram.

I need to learn to post picture like some guys do but I haven't figured it out yet. I thought I could make it work in three different post but I got skunked there too.

Last edited:
   / JD 950 Tractor PTO Continues to Run Advise Appreciated #8  
For some reason I can't get different parts diagrams to post on the same page so I'll make three posts.

I reread you posts after writing this and now I have some more questions. First of all I assumed the lever you were talking about was the clutch lever. After the reread I'm not so sure.

Now I'm wondering if part #9 for some reason isn't completely disengaging rom part #11.

John Deere - Parts Catalog. From here click on "pto shaft" for the right parts diagram.

Last edited:
   / JD 950 Tractor PTO Continues to Run Advise Appreciated #9  
You should also have a good look at this whole assembly and make sure there are no broken roll pins.

John Deere - Parts Catalog. From here go to "pto shifter for the right parts diagram.

It could be that there is some wear on part #11 or 12. Or for some reason # 8 isn't moving #11 far enough so that the detent ball #16can lock #9 from the pto parts diagram into the disengaged position.

You might have to remove the top cover on the transmission to observe this. Before you do that though make sure roll pin #3 from the second diagram isn't broken.

It could also be that part #8 from the "pto shifter" parts diagram is slightly seized into the transmission housing.

Good luck.

Last edited:
   / JD 950 Tractor PTO Continues to Run Advise Appreciated #10  
pms
Your links just take me to the empty parts page where the model number is entered.. but that is a good beginning to follow with a search for the parts.