Snow looking to buy a snowblower for my 2320..... 47" or 54"???

/ looking to buy a snowblower for my 2320..... 47" or 54"??? #1  

purpony

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2440/JD 3020/JD 314/JD 345/JD 850/JD 2320
Looking to purchase a snow blower for my 2320.... should i get a 47" or 54"???

One dealer keep telling me to buy the 54" so its wider then my tracks, but the other dealer is telling me that the 54" (i think 2nd stage) is plastic and is prone to breaking, where the 47" is a better unit..... If i bought a 47" i would put wings on in.....

Looking for input, is the 54" known for breaking and should i stay away, go with a 47" with wings? or has the 54" issues been resolved?

thanks a bunch, looking forward to the input.

/ looking to buy a snowblower for my 2320..... 47" or 54"??? #2  
Looking to purchase a snow blower for my 2320.... should i get a 47" or 54"???

One dealer keep telling me to buy the 54" so its wider then my tracks, but the other dealer is telling me that the 54" (i think 2nd stage) is plastic and is prone to breaking, where the 47" is a better unit..... If i bought a 47" i would put wings on in.....

Looking for input, is the 54" known for breaking and should i stay away, go with a 47" with wings? or has the 54" issues been resolved?

thanks a bunch, looking forward to the input.

Plastic?

I have the 54" on my 2520 and it's a perfect match. The only plastic I recall anywhere on it is a cover on the top to keep the chute rotation pieces free of snow. Everything else is pretty heavy duty.

The 54" is two-stage and it will move the snow quite a distance. I have seen a fair number of threads from folks that have added "wings" to their narrower snowblowers, but I personally would never do this. You're adding snow to an input auger at a faster rate than it was designed to handle. I don't know how much additional stress that puts on any of the mechanical parts or whether or not it would impact the shear pins. It might end up being fine over the long haul, but it's not something I would want to experiment with... The cost difference is "small enough" that I just opted for the one that's better suited to a 48" wide tire stance.

/ looking to buy a snowblower for my 2320..... 47" or 54"???
it was something about the second stage was plastic from what i remember hearing.. this was a couple years back when it just came out.

I see you are in CT.... what dealer did you purchase through... what was an est cost? I talked to one dealer and it was only a $300 difference between the 47 and 54.

/ looking to buy a snowblower for my 2320..... 47" or 54"??? #4  
it was something about the second stage was plastic from what i remember hearing.. this was a couple years back when it just came out.

I see you are in CT.... what dealer did you purchase through... what was an est cost? I talked to one dealer and it was only a $300 difference between the 47 and 54.

I'll PM you some info... Things like prices have a way of getting stale or even giving the wrong idea to some folks.

/ looking to buy a snowblower for my 2320..... 47" or 54"??? #5  
The 2305 has the same motor. I had a 47" blower on mine and when the snow was heavy and knee deep or more it was very under powered making that first pass. I would probably opt for the 54" blower with the 2320 but plan on working that first pass quite a bit slower in the deep heavy stuff.

/ looking to buy a snowblower for my 2320..... 47" or 54"??? #6  
I just bought a 2720 in July and got the 54" blower at the same time. I wanted a blower that would be wider than my rear tires (when in the wide position). The 54" blower gives me a few inches to spare. The 54" blower does have a black plastic impeller. I wasn't too keen on the idea either but judging from the reviews on various forums it doesn't seem to be an issue. I also recall reading somewhere that the new 47" blower now has a plastic impeller as well although I have not seen anyone confirm it.

This winter will be my first with the front-mounted blower. Up till now I've been walking behind a blower for the past 20 years. :-(

/ looking to buy a snowblower for my 2320..... 47" or 54"???
Thanks for the PMs-

Thanks for the info guys - Still waiting to hear back from the dealer i bought my tractor from in pricing.

/ looking to buy a snowblower for my 2320..... 47" or 54"??? #8  
Checked mine out last night, and it also has the plastic impeller. I guess I never really looked closely enough to know that it was plastic because the blades and such are as thick as they are.

I only got to use the unit a few time last winter because we really didn't get much snow, but it had absolutely no issues with moving the snow very far away from where the tractor was.

:thumbsup:

/ looking to buy a snowblower for my 2320..... 47" or 54"??? #9  
After looking three years for a model 47 snowblower used ( new John Deere attachment prices are out of this world ) I built a loader to use for snow removal. I recently came across a 59" Deere snowblower a couple years old in great condition for less that 1/3 new price. I am going to mount this to my 4110. I may be lacking in power a bit but a slow first pass and what ever fills the chute for the remainder. It's a beast but bright, shiney, and near new condition clouded my judgement. Besides I was looking for a 35-40 hp JD tractor to add to the fleet and it could be transfered to this one.

Attachments

• Vette & Snowblower 011.JPG
    Vette & Snowblower 011.JPG
    973.7 KB · Views: 700
   / looking to buy a snowblower for my 2320..... 47" or 54"??? #10  
After looking three years for a model 47 snowblower used ( new John Deere attachment prices are out of this world ) I built a loader to use for snow removal. I recently came across a 59" Deere snowblower a couple years old in great condition for less that 1/3 new price. I am going to mount this to my 4110. I may be lacking in power a bit but a slow first pass and what ever fills the chute for the remainder. It's a beast but bright, shiney, and near new condition clouded my judgement. Besides I was looking for a 35-40 hp JD tractor to add to the fleet and it could be transfered to this one.

Had a 47" blower on my JD 655 that i bought new in 1987. Worked great. Just upgraded ( really down graded) to a new 2320 tractor and a new 54" snow blower. While the new tractor is nicer the new snow strower is junk compared to the old one. Everything is about half. The box is made of metal about half as thick as the old one, the gear boxes are about half the size of the old ones, it blows snow about half the volume of the old one and throws snow about half as far. A real cheap unit compared to the old one. Wish i had the old one back. A real step backwards in JD engineering