4300 Hour Meter blank

/ 4300 Hour Meter blank #1  

arkvet

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4300 HST 4WD
I have a 2002 4300 HST M4WD that has around 1200 hours on it. In the past year I've had an issue with the parking break light not wanting to turn off (even though I'm 100% sure the brake is off), and my cruise control switch won't stay on. I can hold down the cruise control switch and it will maintain cruise... but let off and the switch will turn off. Neither of those issues bothered me too much because they didn't affect how I used the tractor.

Just the other day I look down and my hour meter (digital of course) is just blank. Nothing. blank screen. I've got the entire service manual in print but must admit the electrical section is a little overwhelming. I just wondered if someone with experience could tell me if this is likely a meter gone bad or potentially a fuse, wiring??? Do these meters go bad occasionally? Hopefully it's something repairable as I need that hour meter of course.

The reason I'm mentioning the other electrical problems is in case there could be some "connection" with them.

Thanks

Brent

/ 4300 Hour Meter blank #2  
There could be a connection between the cruise control and the parking brake since when you apply the brake it will automatically release the cruise control. Can't help with the hours meter since I haven't had any problems it. Suggest calling the JD dealer to fix everything.

/ 4300 Hour Meter blank
Suggest calling the JD dealer to fix everything.

Of course this works... but wouldn't that negate the need for the majority of this forum:scratchchin: Thanks for the reply though:thumbsup:

:anyone:

/ 4300 Hour Meter blank #4  
I have a 2002 4300 HST M4WD that has around 1200 hours on it.

The good news is this may be fixable, Brent.

Many many electrical signals come together in your dash display, and it has a large
connector that can fill with dirt. It is not too hard to pull the instrument cluster
back and pull the connector. Check both sides for dirt, and look inside to see if the
contacts are clean. Just plugging it back in may bring back all the correct signals.
Taking the cluster apart further is also not hard. If water has entered thru the lens,
you will want to reseal that. JD sells a new lens and new seal, but no other internal
parts of the cluster.

My first 4300 had a dead hour meter, and the only fixes were a new instrument cluster
($$$$), or an external hour meter. I did the latter.

My current 4300 is at 2025 hours and going strong.

/ 4300 Hour Meter blank
Thank you sir! That gives me a starting point. I've had the panel off once before to do something??? I don't remember... but I do remember there being lots of caked up dirt/dust around everything. Didn't clean it up at the time. I'll start by pulling the panel and cleaning everything up.

I'm assuming I'll be able to identify the wires going to the meter? If so I guess I could use a voltmeter to check for voltage once the tractor is running.

/ 4300 Hour Meter blank #6  
My meter also goes blank at times washed it yesterday and it started back working go figure

/ 4300 Hour Meter blank #7  
I have a 2001 JD 4300 that I bought about 3 yrs ago. The hour meter stopped working about 2 yrs ago. I’ve tried the $250 non-OEM clusters but couldn’t get the glass seal to work without using my OEM glass and seal but then the glass would hit the gauge arms. I wasn’t going to pay $600+ for an OEM cluster just for the hour meter. I removed the cluster and opened it up. On the hour meter there was a white sticker with T1101AB2 229/01. I separated the circuit boards and had a closer look at the hour meter. I identified via the internet that it is an hour meter manufactured by ENM - T1101AB2. I found a replacement unit at Allied Electronics for $20 with $6 shipping. The meter has 4 solid wires labeled P, N, I, and R. Best I have determined P=positive, N=negative, I=input, and R=reset. I hooked up some jumper wires and 12-volt power source to the new unit and made it work (positive to P and I and negative to N and nothing on R). So, I tried the jumper wires to my old meter (the wires are exposed at the top of the white plastic spacer) and it didn’t work. So, I un-soldered my old unit and used the original white plastic spacer and soldered the new unit in. It has been working for 20 hours without any problems. I think it is fixed for $26. Hopefully it will last for a few yrs. You can run up the hours on the meter to match the hours on your tractor by just leaving the unit hooked up to a 12v batter prior to installing. Mine would have taken over 2 months so I just matched the hours since my last oil change (only 10 hrs).

/ 4300 Hour Meter blank #8  
:welcome: to TBN "malbert"

Thanks for posting and letting us know the fix, and thumbsup :thumbsup: to find the solution and getting it to work.

/ 4300 Hour Meter blank #9  
Malbert, you are the man! I never thought about component replacement that is more wallet friendly than the whole cluster. I cannot find the ENM - T1101AB2 on the Allied site, can only find ENM - T1101AB , notice the absence of the '2' at the end. What is the Allied part #? Thank you.

/ 4300 Hour Meter blank #10  
Malbert, you are the man! I never thought about component replacement that is more wallet friendly than the whole cluster. I cannot find the ENM - T1101AB2 on the Allied site, can only find ENM - T1101AB , notice the absence of the '2' at the end. What is the Allied part #? Thank you.

I looked at my invoice from Allied and it shows Stock# "70000909" and Mfr. Part# "T1101AB". Description is "Hour Meter, LCD, black, 1.2W x .6H, 8-28 VDC, DC, 6 digit". Price was $19.90 and with shipping and tax is was $28.27. It looks like the one you found is the one that I bought. Mine is still working great.