Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300 HST 4WD

Default 4300 Hour Meter blank

I have a 2002 4300 HST M4WD that has around 1200 hours on it. In the past year I've had an issue with the parking break light not wanting to turn off (even though I'm 100% sure the brake is off), and my cruise control switch won't stay on. I can hold down the cruise control switch and it will maintain cruise... but let off and the switch will turn off. Neither of those issues bothered me too much because they didn't affect how I used the tractor.

Just the other day I look down and my hour meter (digital of course) is just blank. Nothing. blank screen. I've got the entire service manual in print but must admit the electrical section is a little overwhelming. I just wondered if someone with experience could tell me if this is likely a meter gone bad or potentially a fuse, wiring??? Do these meters go bad occasionally? Hopefully it's something repairable as I need that hour meter of course.

The reason I'm mentioning the other electrical problems is in case there could be some "connection" with them.

Thanks

Brent

Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X500

Default Re: 4300 Hour Meter blank

There could be a connection between the cruise control and the parking brake since when you apply the brake it will automatically release the cruise control. Can't help with the hours meter since I haven't had any problems it. Suggest calling the JD dealer to fix everything.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300 HST 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by rekees4300 View Post
    Suggest calling the JD dealer to fix everything.
    Of course this works... but wouldn't that negate the need for the majority of this forum Thanks for the reply though

Tractor
    05 Kioti CK30HST w/ Prairie Dog backhoe

Quote Originally Posted by arkvet View Post
    I have a 2002 4300 HST M4WD that has around 1200 hours on it.
    The good news is this may be fixable, Brent.

Many many electrical signals come together in your dash display, and it has a large
    connector that can fill with dirt. It is not too hard to pull the instrument cluster
    back and pull the connector. Check both sides for dirt, and look inside to see if the
    contacts are clean. Just plugging it back in may bring back all the correct signals.
    Taking the cluster apart further is also not hard. If water has entered thru the lens,
    you will want to reseal that. JD sells a new lens and new seal, but no other internal
    parts of the cluster.

My first 4300 had a dead hour meter, and the only fixes were a new instrument cluster
    ($$$$), or an external hour meter. I did the latter.

My current 4300 is at 2025 hours and going strong.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300 HST 4WD

Thank you sir! That gives me a starting point. I've had the panel off once before to do something??? I don't remember... but I do remember there being lots of caked up dirt/dust around everything. Didn't clean it up at the time. I'll start by pulling the panel and cleaning everything up.

I'm assuming I'll be able to identify the wires going to the meter? If so I guess I could use a voltmeter to check for voltage once the tractor is running.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    jd 4610

My meter also goes blank at times washed it yesterday and it started back working go figure