JD 2305 PTO Shaft Adjust Procedure-rear case failure

/ JD 2305 PTO Shaft Adjust Procedure-rear case failure #1  

JD4me

Tractor
John Deere 2305 - 2010
There has been numerous posts on the 2305 rear case failure largely due to PTO and shaft issues:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...g/183225-john-deere-2305-compact-tractor.html

Due to a close call myself with my brush cutter after running over a large hard mound that stalled the tractor (slip clutch did not trigger); I felt necessary to dig into it. Turns out that to long a rear shaft could help cause a common and very nasty rear gearbox/case failure and up to a $6k repair! The rear PTO shaft needs to be sized and cut properly. So included here is that preventive maintenance that is a must for any small tractor.
A great video here on cutting rear shaft to length:
How to Measure and Cut a Tractor PTO Shaft - YouTube
More:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/archive/index.php/t-189998.html

But my big question still is:
*Does anyone know what year they corrected that inferior quality rear case on the JD 2305?:anyone:

/ JD 2305 PTO Shaft Adjust Procedure-rear case failure #2  
If you type in 2305 tiller,,, I posted a very similar comment about a PTO shaft I trashed. My luck was better than normal as the shaft was to short. Since my post I have added a clutch that I now see as invaluable for the rear PTO of the 2305 (mounted on implement). I purchased a new 2305 in 2010 and also would like to know the year the rear was beefed up. Anyone?
Regards Bill

/ JD 2305 PTO Shaft Adjust Procedure-rear case failure #3  
I do believe you guys are correct that pto shaft length is a common cause to the catastrophic failure. Impact load has also proved to be a cause. I've read of at least one failure where the use had his tractor failure while a mmm and hit a brick. He posted that had never even used his rear pto.

I think the change over was late 2007 production date. My 2305 was an 2008 with the updated case, and still failed, not as bad as some others I've seen.
Good luck.

/ JD 2305 PTO Shaft Adjust Procedure-rear case failure #4  
Yelbike, Thanks for the info- As they say " knowledge is power "

/ JD 2305 PTO Shaft Adjust Procedure-rear case failure
I do believe you guys are correct that pto shaft length is a common cause to the catastrophic failure. Impact load has also proved to be a cause. I've read of at least one failure where the use had his tractor failure while a mmm and hit a brick. He posted that had never even used his rear pto.

I think the change over was late 2007 production date. My 2305 was an 2008 with the updated case, and still failed, not as bad as some others I've seen.
Good luck.
Thanks for the info, that late 2007 production date is what I've been seeing too.
I guess the big issue though is to be very aware of any tough load or stress on the drivetrain of these small tractors as it will no doubt cause big problems, and not to expect it to do what the big tractors can do.
That's what happens when you stuff 10 pounds of engineering in a 5 pound bag!!!
I also got my MMM hung up and stalled the tractor and only the blades took the hit...won't happen again.

/ JD 2305 PTO Shaft Adjust Procedure-rear case failure #6  
You can't imagine how timely this is. I'm in the process of cutting the shaft for a logging winch. Lot of head scratching.
Thanks.

There has been numerous posts on the 2305 rear case failure largely due to PTO and shaft issues:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...g/183225-john-deere-2305-compact-tractor.html

Due to a close call myself with my brush cutter after running over a large hard mound that stalled the tractor (slip clutch did not trigger); I felt necessary to dig into it. Turns out that to long a rear shaft could help cause a common and very nasty rear gearbox/case failure and up to a $6k repair! The rear PTO shaft needs to be sized and cut properly. So included here is that preventive maintenance that is a must for any small tractor.
A great video here on cutting rear shaft to length:
How to Measure and Cut a Tractor PTO Shaft - YouTube
More:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/archive/index.php/t-189998.html

But my big question still is:
*Does anyone know what year they corrected that inferior quality rear case on the JD 2305?:anyone:

/ JD 2305 PTO Shaft Adjust Procedure-rear case failure #7  
You can't imagine how timely this is. I'm in the process of cutting the shaft for a logging winch. Lot of head scratching.
Thanks.

Warning!

I watched the video yesterday to cut the PTO shaft for my new tiller and JD 2720. I needed to cut 1.5 inches off but before I did I read my tiller manual. It's a good thing because the shaft was the correct length already.

I think the problem was geometry. My tiller's input shaft was 4 inches higher than the input shaft on the tractor. The PTO shaft was the shortest when the 3PH was raised to its highest position.

I'm glad I took my time and double checked everything before cutting.

Thanks.
Glad it could help, important stuff for sure!

Warning!

I watched the video yesterday to cut the PTO shaft for my new tiller and JD 2720. I needed to cut 1.5 inches off but before I did I read my tiller manual. It's a good thing because the shaft was the correct length already.

I think the problem was geometry. My tiller's input shaft was 4 inches higher than the input shaft on the tractor. The PTO shaft was the shortest when the 3PH was raised to its highest position.

I'm glad I took my time and double checked everything before cutting.

Good catch! If the driveshaft is sized right from the get go, your in good shape. Still can't hurt to double check, I am scrutinizing the length on any implement shaft now!

/ JD 2305 PTO Shaft Adjust Procedure-rear case failure #10  
thank you very much jd4me

good post.. for pto repairs and fixsssss. with all the pto maintenance and how to'sss, is there a 'heavy duty' replacement parts, to upgrade, the all or any, jd oem regular parts, replacements ? 2. And does the oem parts [alumnum parts], be considered, a weak joint or weak yoke and can up-graded in materials; made/with cast iron, as in universal joints, in driveline and mfwd driveline universals, yokes, etc.
3. going to jdparts and greenfarm parts and not seeing any 'heavy duty' replacement parts ? otherwise, replacing of these john deere oem replacement parts, is a considerable maintenance replacements and cost, in the future. any suggestions or directions to, is appreciated. tractor pulling, maybe.. happy tractoring...
computer problems at home, connecting to the tractorbynet system, is out of service. thank you admin. dept. just replying to thread via internet and thanks for the heads up about systems procedures.
:confused: