JD 2940 Won't Start

/ JD 2940 Won't Start #1  

kenmack

I tried to start the tractor which had previously been operating without issue when shut down, and it would beep at me. The panel lights (hydraulic level, air filter, etc.) would light until the key was turned to start whereupon they would go out. However, the "!" light would, after a few seconds, flash and beep every second. I tried to jump it with my light truck which didn't change anything. The lights come on strong and do not dim with key turn. I'm suspecting a some safety lock out but am not sure. The clutch or transmission lock outs don't beep when starting without depressing the clutch or shifting to neutral. Any ideas anyone? This is a hobby tractor so I'm not out production but I will get behind in all the things I don't have the time to do anyway. Thanks.

/ JD 2940 Won't Start #2  
Have you tried to checked voltage while attempting to crank engine. Have you checked all 4 battery cable connections? Possibly a faulty neutral start switch on top of gearshift cover under the sheet metal covering.

/ JD 2940 Won't Start
Yes, but when attempting to start when in gear, I don't get the beeping like I am now.

/ JD 2940 Won't Start #4  
Yes, but when attempting to start when in gear, I don't get the beeping like I am now.

I'm not sure why you don't get beeping when attempting to start in gear, but they usually do. It is caused by the park brake alarm. Check the neutral switch with a voltmeter or a test light. The neutral switch has shims under it to adjust. Sometimes removing one shim will make it work again.

/ JD 2940 Won't Start
The tractor wiil beep when in gear with the break on, but when jut in gear, I hear nothing. I know this from getting many not-starting scares when the key just goes click only to find that it is in gear.

/ JD 2940 Won't Start #6  
Have you checked for continuity on the neutral start switch as jd110 suggested?

/ JD 2940 Won't Start
Not yet. I live off the farm. I will go tomorrow to try.

/ JD 2940 Won't Start
I went to the farm and the tractor started right up like there never was a problem. I bushhogged for a few hours and stopped to move some logs and to clear the dust and seeds from the radiator and grill. Then it wouldn't start. The batterys have 12.88 volts. Jumping didn't help. There is no loose belt or electrical connections to the starter or alternator. I took off the plate covering the shifters and saw no problem there other than a wire with a spade connector coming from the harness that seemingly had nowhere to connect. There is also a similar wire/connector near the alternator with seemingly nowhere to connect it. The engine and hydrolic oil levels are good. There is power to the ignition switch. The PTO is off, shifters are neutral, clutch depressed. I'm depressed. The tractor is out in the field and I won't be able to do anything about it until Wednesday. What does the neutral start switch look like?

/ JD 2940 Won't Start #9  
Parts key #14 in photo. If you can't "CAREFULLY"jump across the "S" terminal and the large upper terminal on solenoid and excite the starter then you have a voltage/amperage problem or possibly starter/solenoid problem. Do not try to tow start your tractor that has the hyd hi-lo.

Attachments

• RWP3732________UN01JAN94.gif
    RWP3732________UN01JAN94.gif
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,546
   / JD 2940 Won't Start #10  
I would remove the starter from the tractor and bench test it with jumper cables. My 2005, 4120 did the same thing and it was caused by corossion inside the starter. I got a new, aftermarket starter (Powerstrike, from Amazon) for about 1/3 the cost of a new Bosch from JD. The last thing I was going to do was replace a faulty factory starter with an identical replacement. That Powerstrike has been going strong the last (2) years. I still have that old starter up on a shelf in the barn and if I get time this winter I may tear into it and replace the corroded section of wire that runs between the solenoid and starter motor. It will be nice to have a spare.