Tractor
    John Deere 4520

Default JD 3rd Function Install question

I purchased the 3rd Function and line kit from JD to install on my 4520 open station. Generally pretty straight forward to install with limited instructions. My challenge lies with the removal of the panel under the seat assembly in order to install the 3rd function lever. Removing this panel requires removal of the knobs on the various levers - namely 3 pt lever on the right & transmission shift lever on the left. See diagram below.

JD 4520 Seat Assembly.bmp

Can I remove the lever knobs without destroying them or do they become a causality and need to be replaced as part of the installation?
    Gary

JD 4520, 400X FEL, Frontier Front Blade, Box Blade, Rotary Cutter, Landscape Rake, 48" Wildkat Grapple and PHD

Platinum Member

Default Re: JD 3rd Function Install question

The three pt lever knob is near impossible to remove without destroying it. I usually reach up under the plastic panel and remove the two bolts holding the lever on and remove the whole lever. The transmission shift knob is actually two parts. Remove the top half of knob by slipping a screwdriver under the rear edge of the seam between the upper half of knob and pry it off. That will expose a nut or bolt holding the bottom of knob in place.

Tractor
    John Deere 4520

Awe, yes...just the help I needed. The only lever remaining in the way is the parking brake but I am planning on working around it.

Should I be able to fully install the new 3rd function control lever without removing the right tire and fender as suggested in the instructions? I think I can and hope so but I'm not positive how much room is needed to install the pin through the lever.
    Gary

JD 4520, 400X FEL, Frontier Front Blade, Box Blade, Rotary Cutter, Landscape Rake, 48" Wildkat Grapple and PHD

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Gary,
    Good luck with it, per your inquiry on the other thread my 4520 is a cab with cable control so not much help to you.