Strange issue with a 2720.

/ Strange issue with a 2720. #1  

chevy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510SE HST, John Deere X739
This spring I traded a 2320 for a 2720. I never got much time to use it until now. The 2720 only has 12 hours on it. When I purchased the 2720, I had plans to build a new tool shed this year, but the project got delayed until now. Last week we got started on leveling out the pad for the building. The area to be leveled was 65' X 85' & was out of level 5 by feet. My son in law did most of the work with his large skid loader & backhoe. After he was finished with the largest part, I used the 2720 to finish. I started using a 60" box blade to flatten out the surface. I had the 2720 in high range. A couple of times the speed of the tractor started slowing & then just stopped moving. The engine RPMs remained the same. I shifted to low range & it went fine.

Last night I moved some dirt with the loader. I had to move it a long distance, so again started out in high range. When I went the get the first scoop of loose dirt out of the pile, the speed stalled again. I shifted to low range, got got a scoop full, shifted to high range & headed to the site. While I was going up an incline, the speed stalled again. It did not matter what the engine RPM was, the engine never seemed to be under a load. It just seems like the transmission goes into bypass when it is in high range & has load on it.

Anyone else had this happen?

One of the reasons for trading for the 2720 was for more power in high range. The engine on the 2320 would pull way down when it was in high range & had a load on it.
I have found, I am not any better off with the 2720, than I was with the 2320.

/ Strange issue with a 2720. #2  
With any of these compact tractors, when the loader goes on, the transmission should be in low range. Same thing with any ground engaging equipment like a box blade. Just SOP.

Also make sure you are not just pressing down more on the hydro pedal when things start to slow under load. Hydros don't like that and will just transfer less power.

/ Strange issue with a 2720. #3  
Does not sound normal to me. I don't think loosing forward motion when traveling from point A to B has anything to do with using the loader. Granted you have the loader bucket full of dirt but this still should not slow or stop the trasctor when traveling on the road. Now using the box blade in high range could cause problems. I think it is time to stop in at the dealers and have a discussion with the Service Manager.

/ Strange issue with a 2720.
Thank you Gator. I called my dealer & a serviceman will be out next week to check it out.
He wanted to come tomorrow, but I have to be out on a job.

As for pulling the box blade, I was not moving much dirt with it at all, I was just knocking down some high spots. The tractor stalled if the blade caught any hard spots at all, no matter how small.

/ Strange issue with a 2720. #5  
Chevy,
Somethings amiss for sure, after this tractor is fixed please post back with the results. I think you will find that it has alot more ability and speed than the 2320.

/ Strange issue with a 2720. #6  
I know with the 2520, when it is cold, there is not much power in high range. It is not a gear to be used for work. That being said, most of what you said seems normal, but to err on the side of caution, I would have it checked out. Also with these HST transmissions, pushing the pedal down further doesn't usually help, lifting does.

With any of these compact tractors, when the loader goes on, the transmission should be in low range. Same thing with any ground engaging equipment like a box blade. Just SOP.

Also make sure you are not just pressing down more on the hydro pedal when things start to slow under load. Hydros don't like that and will just transfer less power.

Sorry JD755, I missed your reply. I hate small screens.

I understand using low range when doing heavy work. I should have had the tractor in low range when digging into the pile, but I would have expected the wheels to spin, not just stall.
As for traveling several hundred feet up a slight incline, I would not expect it to just stop, nor would I expect it to stall when pulling an empty box blade around on a mostly flat surface.
I have used many JD compact tractors, large & small, none have performed like 2720 does.

Chevy,
Somethings amiss for sure, after this tractor is fixed please post back with the results. I think you will find that it has alot more ability and speed than the 2320.

I will do that.

I know with the 2520, when it is cold, there is not much power in high range. It is not a gear to be used for work. That being said, most of what you said seems normal, but to err on the side of caution, I would have it checked out. Also with these HST transmissions, pushing the pedal down further doesn't usually help, lifting does.

Once it stalls, the only way to get it to move again is to let off the foward pedal, then go in reverse or shift into low range.

/ Strange issue with a 2720. #10  
chevy said:
Once it stalls, the only way to get it to move again is to let off the foward pedal, then go in reverse or shift into low range.

It doesn't sound completely normal for sure with the extra detail.

I know my 2520 will pull a fairly steep hill in high, but it really doesn't like it at all.