Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD2520

Default Stalled the engine on my 2520 using a chipper

I was using my 2520 and Wallenstein BX42 chipper the other day and fed it a branch bigger than it could chew and it stalled the engine. I started it right back up and about 30 minutes later (after I unstuck the branch that the chipper blade only went half way through) proceeded to chip for another several hours. I have not noticed anything but after seeing the post on the problems with the 2305 pto/transmission, was wondering if I should be concerned? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    RanchHand2520
    JD2520, 200CX FEL, Frontier BB2060, KK 48" Brushcutter, Countyline PHD, Countyline 60" Tiller, Loftness 66" Snowblower, Wallenstein BX42 Chipper

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 1070

Default Re: Stalled the engine on my 2520 using a chipper

I'm 99% sure the new 2 series units have a redesigned PTO housing. I was looking at buying a used 2305 when the 1026R came out as the JD delers were getting 2305's in on trade. Then I read all the horror stories of the PTO housing failures and now I wouldn't consider buying a 2305 or a 2210. You should be good to go on your 2520. Most of the stories I read, the problem was obvious and terminal where the PTO was no longer functional.

Tractor
    '10 3320 cab

Hiya,

The 2520 is completely different than the 2305/2210 series. I ran a 5 foot tiller, a 5 foot snow blower and a RFM for several years on the back of a 2520 with no issues. Just remember, on/off at low RPM, be kind to the clutch pack.

I can't remember reading of any failures of the 2x20 series PTO on this or other boards, the gear reduction housings and axle seals are another story, there have been a few posts regarding them.

Tom
    Big and little Green tractors, Orange tractors and one awesome brown dog.

"Congelo nos opus, quantum punitor ingravesco"

"Behold, like the wild azz in the desert, go I forth to my work"

Silver Member

I have the same setup and the same happens to me from time to time. (Touch wood) i haven't had any real negative repercussions resulting from this, other than my pto brake/clutch which has stopped working but i don't know if i can attribute that failure directly to these chipper mishaps. I find the machine handles the green 4" much better than the dry, petrified dead wood, which seems to bog it down. Problem is once it start feeding these big logs, its pretty difficult to stop it. You gotta be on the ball and yank it out before it causes a stall. As mentioned in the earlier post, I turn down the rpm before i restart but make sure i get rid of the obstruction before i re engage the pto.

Have fun chipping !
    2007 John Deere 2520, 200CX loader, Allied rear mount blower, 60" Buhler RFM, i-Match hitch, ballast box, 25 gal electric sprayer, 60" Buhler box blade, 60" Kodiak rotary mower, Moosehead beer holder.

Tractor
    JD2520

Quote Originally Posted by GordNovo View Post
    ... I find the machine handles the green 4" much better than the dry, petrified dead wood, which seems to bog it down. Problem is once it start feeding these big logs, its pretty difficult to stop it. You gotta be on the ball and yank it out before it causes a stall...
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! I'll second that regarding chipping green vs not so green and trying to stop it once it gets a bite of a branch. I had no problems this spring on fresh cut branches but didn't quite finish the stack. I stalled it out on the same size of branch - it had just dried out over the summer.
    RanchHand2520
    JD2520, 200CX FEL, Frontier BB2060, KK 48" Brushcutter, Countyline PHD, Countyline 60" Tiller, Loftness 66" Snowblower, Wallenstein BX42 Chipper

Silver Member lost in wisconsin's Avatar
    Tractor
    John Deere 2520 (2011)

I apologize for not understanding this fully and would seek some feedback regarding pto brake/clutch. My situation is a bit different but the result of stalling the tractor is the same. I have been putting in fence posts and because of the location...I can run into a lot of rock. Sometimes the rock is so large, the post hole diggers "rides" on top of the rock because it cannot get past it, other times it "grabs" too big of a rock and breaks a shear pin, or as I experience a couple of times yesterday, the auger just bogs down and stalls the tractor. In all the aforementioned examples, the engine is runing at the slowest speed. Am I damaging my tractor when the load on the PTO cause the tractor to shut down?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stalled the engine on my 2520 using a chipper-fence-19.jpg   Stalled the engine on my 2520 using a chipper-fence-17.jpg  
    2011 JD 2520, 200CX FEL w/ 53" bucket, iMatch Quick Hitch, 48" JD Box Scraper, 54" JD FM Snowblower, Frontier PHD200, BB & Heavy Hitch

My basic principle is that you don’t make decisions because they are easy; you don’t make them because they’re popular; you make them because they’re right. Theodore Hesburgh

Tractor
    JD3720 Cab, 300X loader with 4-in-1 bucket

Not an unusual issue, it's a matter of buying the right tool for the job. In your case, Wallenstein recommends a minimum 35hp for the 42 series chipper. I don't know if that's engine or PTO horsepower, but I'm sure your 2520 falls well short on both. I'm thinkin' you'd fared better with the 32BX series., and even then they recommend at least 25hp

So to answer your question, yes. I think you should be concerned. You're trying to run more machine than the 2520 is spec'd to handle.

//greg//
    USN (Ret)
    Former Chinese tractor owner (x4)
    Current John Deere owner

Tractor
    JD2520

Quote Originally Posted by greg_g View Post
    ... Wallenstein recommends a minimum 35hp for the 42 series chipper...you'd fared better with the 32BX series., and even then they recommend at least 25hp...
    I definitely agree with you - if I had a tractor with higher pto hp on the range Wallenstein recommends, I probably would not have stalled it but I did so I asked the question.

FWIW, Wallenstein's recommended hp range (pto is my guess) for the BX42 is 18 to 50 and for the BX32 is 12 to 30.
    BXs Series Wood Chippers - Wallenstein

JD specs the 2520 at 20.5 pto and 26.4 engine, so either way I am in the range.
    RanchHand2520

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by RanchHand2520 View Post
    I definitely agree with you - if I had a tractor with higher pto hp on the range Wallenstein recommends, I probably would not have stalled it but I did so I asked the question.

FWIW, Wallenstein's recommended hp range (pto is my guess) for the BX42 is 18 to 50 and for the BX32 is 12 to 30.
    BXs Series Wood Chippers - Wallenstein

JD specs the 2520 at 20.5 pto and 26.4 engine, so either way I am in the range.
    I'll guarantee most folks have jammed their chipper up sometime or another. If it's direct drive, you'll stall the tractor...if the chipper is belt driven, you'll smoke the belts.
    Mine, a Woods 5000, is belt driven and I've had a couple jams when chipping old dried out branches.
    Roy Jackson

”"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100 (50 Hp, 42.5 pto) Kubota BX25D Gravely 2 wheel tractor

Yep it happens... I stalled my 52hp (40 something PTO) with my BX42 once - just grabs something the wrong way and that is all she wrote.. Getting it unjammed that time sure was fun!!!
    Kubota MX5100
    Kubota BX25D
    Gravely 2 wheel tractor
    Camo RZR4 800LE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast