Dirt Moving Ditches and swales for drainage

/ Ditches and swales for drainage #1  

1026R owner

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 1026R
What's the best attachment for fixing drainage problems? Several areas on our property could use a slight ditch or swale to channel water down hill rather than into places where it's not wanted (like in our barn basement). I have a box blade and the front-end loader. I do not have any other blade or a backhoe though I am contemplating the latter for planting larger trees and digging small ditches.

/ Ditches and swales for drainage #2  
A middle buster (also called a potato plow) works really good to start a channel, then you can take the box blade and angle it to shape the "corners" at the top and angle them off. A scrape blade with offset and tilt also does this quite well. A middlebuster can usually be had for $100 or so on craigslist if you keep your eye out for one. You should be able to pick up a 5ft scrape blade for about $200-$300 depending on condition, model, and features.

Another option is to have some dirt hauled in and use the FEL to move it around and build up some swales or berms to divert water the way in which you want to go. Just my suggestions. Good luck!

/ Ditches and swales for drainage #3  
If you just need a few swales less than a foot deep, you should be good to go. As kebo says, a back blade or buster would help, but if you take your time, and have some room to manuver, you will learn how to get a swale built. Try to build one or two swales, and then you can decide if having additional equipment would be more efficient for you. Of course more equipment on hand always helps, but it just depends on your budget. Good luck !!!

/ Ditches and swales for drainage
Great suggestions! I'd started thinking about a middle buster (or even a subsoiler) but hadn't thought of using that in conjunction with the box blade. So I CAN tilt the rear blade? I haven't figured out how to do that but now that I know I can I'll study that some more. I spent some time around tractors when I was knee-high to a grasshopper but this is my first tractor with attachments in my adult life. Thanks so much for your help!!

/ Ditches and swales for drainage #5  
You can tilt any 3ph implement some by shortening/lengthening one of your rear lift arms. Typically, they are set to level the 3ph attachment, but also can make it tilt when that is beneficial.

:welcome:

So, if I understand correctly, I change the tilt with tools, not levers and hydraulics.

/ Ditches and swales for drainage #7  
That's right. There should be a turnbuckle on one side, maybe on both.

As Elvis used to say, thank you very much!

/ Ditches and swales for drainage #9  
On one of your side supports for the lower lift arms, there should be something with threads which can be shortened....on my tractor, there is a rotating handle which turns a screw which changes the length of the side arm, up or down.

Yep, know exactly what you mean. Now that I know, I'll be able to angle it for the swale I have in mind.

I don't have a straight blade, just a box blade.

In general, what's most useful? Front blade, middle blade, rear blade? (I have a box blade and a front-end loader.) From the above recommendations, sounds like a rear blade would add the most utility, though I already have a box blade for the rear. I'll be using the box blade to maintain dirt/gravel road here and for smoothing a couple of fields that are uncomfortably rough when mowing.