Tires John Deere 870 R4 Tires

/ John Deere 870 R4 Tires #1  

blaster214

Tractor
John Deere 870
Hey All,

New to the board. We just got our first tractor, a 1998 JD 870 that has a set of bald turf tires that need to be replaced before winter. Looking to get an all around tire that will work in all conditions. Most other compacts seem to come with the R4 style tires and would like to get a set of those. I understand I may have to replace rims but thats ok. Wondered if anyone has done this before with this model tractor. Any help would be appreciated.

Here are the factory specs for the tractor:

Standard tires (ag): Front: 5.00-15. Rear: 12.4-24 (2WD)

Front: 7-14. Rear: 12.4-24 (4WD)

Optional tires (ag): Front: 5.00-15. Rear: 11.2-24 (2WD)

Lawn/turf front: 25x8.50-14

Lawn/turf rear: 355/80D-20

/ John Deere 870 R4 Tires #2  
so is yours 4wd or 2wd? Also, what do you plan to do with it?

/ John Deere 870 R4 Tires #3  
Before you swap tire types, determine what tasks you have planned for the tractor. I like R-4s, but they aren't always the best choice. If you intend to mow, the turfs would be preferable. If you intend snow plowing, turfs with chains are great.
If you're going to do ag type work, go work ag tires.

Now, R-4s are great for brush cutting and are quite resistant to punctures.

I've had R-4s on a 790...now I have turfs on a 4400. I'm quite happy with the turfs.

/ John Deere 870 R4 Tires
Before you swap tire types, determine what tasks you have planned for the tractor. I like R-4s, but they aren't always the best choice. If you intend to mow, the turfs would be preferable. If you intend snow plowing, turfs with chains are great.
If you're going to do ag type work, go work ag tires.

Now, R-4s are great for brush cutting and are quite resistant to punctures.

I've had R-4s on a 790...now I have turfs on a 4400. I'm quite happy with the turfs.

Thanks for responding. Firstly its 4WD. It came with a 440 FEL as well as an 8B hoe, york rake. We plan on using it for general property maintenance, FEL work, as well as snow clearing. I was thinking about an Erskine 601FM blower. We wont be mowing with it.