New 4520 POWER REVERSER

/ New 4520 POWER REVERSER #1  

chevyman29

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2520
I think I made what will be my last trade tractor wise for a long time . I had a 4520 hydro that I never could get the load match to work correctly on so I finally said to heck with it and traded it for a 4520 gear drive tractor . I was worried about how it would be using the fel but i think after i get use to it I'll be fine . i opted for the hyd top link and the air seat on this one it cost me about 1500 for those two items but they are well worth it . after using this thing for a day I think my other 4520 was either down on power or the hydro trans eats up way more power than i realized. this thing pulls my JD802 two bottom disc plow like night and day difference. it will pull it in b range 4th gear 90% of the time like its not even back there. its just a totally different animal i know that sounds crazy but what can i say .

/ New 4520 POWER REVERSER #2  
chevyman,
It would have been great if you had been able to test a couple of 4520 hydros' to compare to your own. I know that operating in B range I have never run out of power in mine so far. At any rate as long as you are satisfied and happy with the current ride all is good.

/ New 4520 POWER REVERSER #3  
Congrats! I worked an arena with a 4320 Hydro before I made my decision to buy my Reverser. I absolutely love the reverser. I can run circles around the hydro in a pulling contest. With a little bit of practice, loader work is just as fast and easy as with a hydro.

/ New 4520 POWER REVERSER #4  
I think you will like it also. I personally prefer reverser trans set ups for loader work myself. I guess I am on the opposite side of the curve but it is what I learned on, takes me longer with hydro's to constant b&f loader work. It would be interesting to know if you where just dealing with the hydro power loss or if there was an actuall issue with the trans. I know it takes approx 20% to run the hydro set up and I used to remember the percentage on the gear unit but it has lost me for now. Maybe someone else will chime in.

/ New 4520 POWER REVERSER #5  
Congrats! I worked an arena with a 4320 Hydro before I made my decision to buy my Reverser. I absolutely love the reverser. I can run circles around the hydro in a pulling contest. With a little bit of practice, loader work is just as fast and easy as with a hydro.

PR trannies are very good and more efficient than the hydro trannies but there is a difference in control of the machine where the hydro is important. I work around lots of brand new houses dressing up for lawns and finish grading, the hydro shines at this type work. That is a lot different from smoothing up an arena.

/ New 4520 POWER REVERSER
Oh I totally agree that the hydro is better for fel work no doubt. And I did demo a 4520 pulling my plow before I bought one. I think I just had transmission problems that my dealer couldn't fix. But after using the PR I don't think a perfect working hydro would pull a plow near this good. What really made me realize I was having real issues was whenever I put the r1's on it and stopped the wheel spin that's whenever I knew that it had to go.

/ New 4520 POWER REVERSER #7  
chevyman.
I agree a PR is going to pull a plow better than a hydro, no question about it. I thnk good logic dictates that the light weight compact hydro tractors are better utilized with a pto operated tiller rather than a disk in most cases. The tiller enables you to get more of the power transferred to the ground. One of the reasons you don't see a disk in my signature is that it isn't an efficient way to go with my hydro tractors. If I had a need or reason to pull a disk often I would have to give alot of consideration to a larger gear tractor, PR or syncro and the higher weight 5000 series and up.

Any of these working properly should be able to spin the tires in A or B range with R1 tires, if not there is a problem. Glad to hear the new 4520 PR is working out well for you and you have a good combination to plow with now.

/ New 4520 POWER REVERSER #8  
I looked at the 5000 series. It was too big, size wise, for what I needed. But loaded Ag tires and a Power Reverser 4320 is perfect for all my needs on 10 acres. I had a smaller Deere hydro tractor before so I know the benefits. But I needed the power to the ground more than I needed surgical strike capabilities. No one tractor excels at everything, that's for sure.

/ New 4520 POWER REVERSER
jenkinsph i think maybe your under estimating the capabilies of these tractors especially with a PR trans .

/ New 4520 POWER REVERSER #10  
I have a PowerReverser 4500 & can not be happier. I use it mostly (99%) for loader/back-hoe work. I do not beat on my machine & do not see how I could be any faster w/ a hydro. To change directions I let up on the throttle (w/ foot throttle), flip from forward to reverse (or vice-versa), let out the clutch & then back on the throttle. Personally, I like the control of being able to control the engine RPM (and thus wheel speed) w/ the right foot & do not think that I would be happy w/ a hydro, but that's just me.