Tractor
    JD 2320

Default JD 2320 fuel flow issue

Hello to all,
    I'm new here and am sure glad this forum exists. I own a 2008 JD 2320 and have had no problems with this machine untill yesterday. I was mowing and the engine quit. My fuel gage registered 1/2 full, so I didn't suspect a fuel issue, but I opened the cap and I was nearly out of fuel. I filled up the tank, then a strange thing happened. the fuel filter housing is clear plastic, and while watching the filter housing while the engine was running, the fuel level started to drop. I shut the tractor off, and the level filled back up. I started the engine again, and the same thing happened. The level drops until I shut the engine off, then fills back up. All I can guess is that there is something in the tank that is sucked against the outlet tube that keeps fuel from flowing until I shut the engine off, and the "stuff" floats away from the outlet tube, and allows the fuel to flow....Hope someone can help as I am not the world's best mechanic....Thanks...Jellowaydan

Tractor
    John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465

Default Re: JD 2320 fuel flow issue

When the last time you changed the filter? Could it be plugged?
    Carefull what you aim for, Aim for nothing and you will achieve it with amazing accuracy.

Tractor
    JD 2320

Quote Originally Posted by yelbike View Post
    When the last time you changed the filter? Could it be plugged?
    I changed engine oil and filter, as well as fuel filter and o-ring this spring. The tractor ran fine till I ran out of fuel. I'm starting to wonder if the lift pump might have gone south. I'm going to drain the tank and try to blow out the fuel line and see what happens after that, as well as replace the fuel filter. Thats all I know to do.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    jd 2320 jd 990 jd950

how about the fuel cap did you blowout the air holes.

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455

Possible FOD in the tank? Greg (GLC) found a stinkbug in his tank that was blocking the outlet...
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components.

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Visit our YouTube Channel

Tractor
    John Deere 4120 John Deere 1026R

The 2320 that I used to have, quit running a couple of times in the first 100 hours. I noticed the fuel level in the fuel filter bowl was acting the way yours was. It would run normal after a couple of times of restarting it & it would run fine afterwards. We never did find a cause. One of the ideas on a cause was a piece of dirt in the tank that would temporarily clog the fuel pickup. I had planned to remove the tank & clean it, but I never got around to it. I put over a hundred hours on it without another problem, before trading it for a 2720.
    JD 4120, 400CX Loader, JD1026R, 60D Deck H120 loader

Tractor
    JD 2320

Quote Originally Posted by chevy View Post
    The 2320 that I used to have, quit running a couple of times in the first 100 hours. I noticed the fuel level in the fuel filter bowl was acting the way yours was. It would run normal after a couple of times of restarting it & it would run fine afterwards. We never did find a cause. One of the ideas on a cause was a piece of dirt in the tank that would temporarily clog the fuel pickup. I had planned to remove the tank & clean it, but I never got around to it. I put over a hundred hours on it without another problem, before trading it for a 2720.
    We have stink bugs here this year and I suspect some were in the end od the funnel when I last filled the tank. Guess I'll find out when I syphin the tank dry and see what is in there. I'll let you guys know what I find.