Battery terminal corrosion on 4400

/ Battery terminal corrosion on 4400 #1  

Mike_S

Silver Member
Tractor
JD4400HST
My 4400 is two years old and has serious battery terminal corrosion on the negative terminal--not just a little, but a two inch white snowball had formed after a winter of little tractor use. Then I replaced some of the corrugated plastic sheathing that had been destroyed, removed the battery, washed it thoroughly and powerwashed the battery compartment and where the corrosive fluid had leaked down onto the steering members and then used a battery terminal wire brush and cleaned both terminals thoroughly, replaced the negative side connector since the corrosion had eaten through the wire going into the original connector, added felt anticorrosion discs and completely covered both terminals with waterproof JD grease. Two months later the negative side is corroded again with white fuzzy growth. I again powerwashed the battery and the battery compartment and the grease was still intact. Does anyone have any other solutions to this issue?? Mike_S /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Battery terminal corrosion on 4400 #2  
I've seen some felt-like circular pads in red & green for the two terminals that are supposed to stop the problem. I'm sure they can't be that much money and ought to be worth a try, anyhow. I'm sure a lot of auto parts stores or automotive sections of large retailers would have them.

/ Battery terminal corrosion on 4400 #3  
The battery posts are supposed to be sealed (epoxied) to the case, and I'd bet the seal is broken on your negative post. If I were you I'd try another battery.

/ Battery terminal corrosion on 4400 #4  
My TC25D had a similar problem. I did what Ken recommended and replaced the battery. But first I had to clean and repaint the battery box and the hold down strap. Had to replace the hold down bolts as well (Tractor Supply has them). I installed the felt washers, as recommended earlier plus I installed a Battery Mat. No more problem with 'cottage cheese'.

I forgot...I also used the spray Steve recommends. Got it at Advanced Auto.

/ Battery terminal corrosion on 4400 #5  
I would use a battery protective spray instead of the grease. It is red in color, the good stuff is a thick red and doesn't run.
Zep makes a very good product, but, don't think you can buy it from a store. I usually use some donated from my employer.
Try a name brand like Napa.

/ Battery terminal corrosion on 4400 #6  
Baking soda and water makes a great battery acid neutralizer.

/ Battery terminal corrosion on 4400
I did use the anticorrosion pads as I always do (although I wonder if they are not placebos) and my routine maintenance of batteries includes cleaning and then spraying the terminals and connectors with the red sealer and that did not help this time--thus I went back to the very old method of using grease. I can only conclude that the negative terminal is leaking even though the battery works fine. My biggest concern is battery acid getting into the radiator and also corroding the metal at the bottom of the battery compartment. Therefore, I am in search of a replacement battery--preferably one that is maintenance free, but have been unable to find a group 22NF battery with the same 500 cold cranking amps as the original--it seems that the standard for a 22NF battery is 390 CCA. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Even Interstate and Exide 22NF batteries only have 390 CCA.

/ Battery terminal corrosion on 4400 #8  
You definitely need a new battery. I would get as big a "sealed" battery as will fit in the space, such as a Delco, or even better, an Optima. Even a so-called "maintenance free" battery emits fumes that will cause rust.

/ Battery terminal corrosion on 4400 #9  
Mike,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My 4400 is two years old and has serious battery terminal corrosion on the negative terminal )</font>

Check with your dealer. My 4300 (manufactured May 2000) was recalled last fall, after the warranty had expired. My dealer contacted me to arrange a time convenient for us both, picked up the tractor, and replaced the battery and the hydraulic oil cooler at no charge.

This was one of the items brought up when a group of us went to Augusta to provide input for the 4010 series tractors.

Jim Fisher

/ Battery terminal corrosion on 4400 #10  
I like the red stuff- NCP-2, and the felt washers. I used to pull the batteries once a year, clean things up with baking soda, and put grease on the terminals (better than nothing), but not anymore.