Reading my 5065E manual (oil change)

/ Reading my 5065E manual (oil change) #1  

crowbar032

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 150, TO-35, John Deere 5065E, Caterpiller 953 track loader, NH LS170 Skid Steer
I've got right at 60 hours on my 5065E, so I'm reviewing my manual on changing the oil (capacity, viscosity, ect.) I was surprised to discover that the oil that comes from the factory is some sort of special break in oil that isn't supposed to be removed from the engine unless there are 100 hours on it. And if in that 100 hours there isn't some "hard" use, to wait until 200 hours to change it. Anyone else read this or am I misunderstanding? So what's in this break in oil? I normally change my oil in the spring regardless of hours (typically 50-60 hours a year).

/ Reading my 5065E manual (oil change) #2  
I got a 5085M with 93 hours on it and I'm trying to decide what to do when I hit 100 hours. I got the same break in oil and read about the "hard use" as well. I have not spent the last 93 hours doing heavy ground work but do feel I have given it enough of a workout that doing the engine oil/filter and hydraulic filter at 100 hours makes sense. Doing the hydraulic filter without changing the hydraulic oil will be a bit tricky. Manual calls for using a shop vac to create a vacum at the filler neck to minimize loosing out when swapping filters.

/ Reading my 5065E manual (oil change) #3  
I think it's not what's "IN" break in oil, but what's NOT in break in oil. I think it has less anti-wear additives so parts can "wear or break in" to each other. Mainly piston rings to cylinder.

If you have just been doing "easy work" with your tractor more than 50% of the time I would stay with break in oil longer, 200 hours. Have you noticed oil consumption? (normal for break in) Has it decreased? (A sign the engine is getting broke in)

I see no problem doing an annual oil change, but put back break in oil.

/ Reading my 5065E manual (oil change)
I think it's not what's "IN" break in oil, but what's NOT in break in oil. I think it has less anti-wear additives so parts can "wear or break in" to each other. Mainly piston rings to cylinder.

If you have just been doing "easy work" with your tractor more than 50% of the time I would stay with break in oil longer, 200 hours. Have you noticed oil consumption? (normal for break in) Has it decreased? (A sign the engine is getting broke in)

I see no problem doing an annual oil change, but put back break in oil.

Hmm, never occurred to me that stuff would be left out. That makes more sense. I've done probably 10-15 hours of bushhogging and about 10-15 plowing/roto-tilling with the break in oil. I think I'll wait until next fall to change the oil. That will give me a summer of hay-making to really break it in.