Deere 855 - third hydraulic function

/ Deere 855 - third hydraulic function #1  

WinterDeere

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3033R; JD 855 MFWD
So, what are the options for adding a third hydraulic function to a Deere 855? Would prefer to stick with something Deere engineered for the tractor, but will consider third-party if that's the only option. Goal is to control the chute on a rear snowblower. Will just get an electric chute if this proves prohibitive, but would prefer to add function to the tractor (for other uses) if cost is anywhere near similar.

/ Deere 855 - third hydraulic function #2  
I would add the power beyond kit. Run the output to a hydraulic valve assembly. Then run a hose back from the power beyond port of the valve back to the input of the tractor's power beyond kit. Then run a hose from the return of the valve back to the reservoir (you'll have to get a little creative here). With the proper planning and placement of couplers, you could still use the power beyond of the tractor for other implements like a log-splitter, etc.

/ Deere 855 - third hydraulic function #3  
WR Long offers a 3rd function for the 855. I believe I was quoted above $700 for a complete kit but it was oriented toward putting that function on the loader for a grapple etc. Check with Everything Attachments for a price.

Not the cheapest but for me a better option since I know it works rather than using my flaky knowledge and tendency to half-*** things due to impatience.

Power Beyond kit is a good starting point if you can find one as I believe they are NLA as a kit from Deere. Hopefully I get time this winter (ha ha) to pull the tin on my 855 to install said PB kit which I found on eBay some years back as well as do other repairs/maintenance.

/ Deere 855 - third hydraulic function #4  
WR Long offers a 3rd function for the 855. I believe I was quoted above $700 for a complete kit but it was oriented toward putting that function on the loader for a grapple etc. Check with Everything Attachments for a price.

Not the cheapest but for me a better option since I know it works rather than using my flaky knowledge and tendency to half-*** things due to impatience.

Power Beyond kit is a good starting point if you can find one as I believe they are NLA as a kit from Deere. Hopefully I get time this winter (ha ha) to pull the tin on my 855 to install said PB kit which I found on eBay some years back as well as do other repairs/maintenance.

The kit is still available. If you look it up on the JD parts website, it says NLA... but don't believe it. It comes up that way because it is a "bundle" part and bundles don't show up on the website. If you call you dealer and ask for a price, he can pull it up and price it for you. I just did this about 6 months ago... the kit was about $250.

/ Deere 855 - third hydraulic function
As I understand it, the PB kit just gives two couplings somewhere in the area of the rear PTO with flow and pressure, but no control valve. You would then need a control valve to operate the chute, which could maybe be mounted right to the blower, on a boom arm which is reachable from the tractor seat. What's with the need for additional lines, such as the reservoir?

/ Deere 855 - third hydraulic function #6  
As I understand it, the PB kit just gives two couplings somewhere in the area of the rear PTO with flow and pressure, but no control valve. You would then need a control valve to operate the chute, which could maybe be mounted right to the blower, on a boom arm which is reachable from the tractor seat. What's with the need for additional lines, such as the reservoir?

My outline was assuming the installation of a "permanent" control valve or mutliple spool control valve (stack valves are great for this application) mounted to the tractor. These valves could be used for a number of things... operation of an implement, top & tilt, etc. You could mix and match with a motor control valve, a detent valve to feed an implement that has it's own valve(s), double acting valves (for cylinder control) etc. Since the only function downstream of the valves is the rockshaft, many people will say that the return to tank line is not needed. Depending on what you are doing, it may not be necessary... but depending on what you controling and how you want to control it, the best way to plumb it is with the return to tank line. It's the most versatile arrangement in my opinion.

For example: The No. 7 backhoe has its own set of control valves and just plugs into the PB outlets. Since you don't use the rockshaft with the backhoe attached, it is never an issue of trying to use the rockshaft and the backhoe at the same time. So, it does not utilize the return to tank line.

So, all that being said there are several ways to hook it up and I probably just muddied the waters. If the valve you plumb into the tractors PB loop is set up with its own PB, then a separate return to tank line is needed for the valve. If you do not set the valve up to use it's own PB, the the valves outlet and return to tank lines are internally connected and the separate return to tank line is not needed.

/ Deere 855 - third hydraulic function
Cool. Thanks, Mechanos. I think I understand what you're saying, but I really need to get myself a schematic of the 855's hydraulic system to be sure I understand the whole system. I haven't checked the manuals for it, but I assume it's in there somewhere.

/ Deere 855 - third hydraulic function #8  
It's in the service manual... TM1360

/ Deere 855 - third hydraulic function #9  
The kit is still available. If you look it up on the JD parts website, it says NLA... but don't believe it. It comes up that way because it is a "bundle" part and bundles don't show up on the website. If you call you dealer and ask for a price, he can pull it up and price it for you. I just did this about 6 months ago... the kit was about $250.

Probably by assembling the component parts together. I bought factory cruise control for my Jeep not long after I got it, a kit that is long discontinued but still available if somebody cares to put the parts together in one box. Best "mod" I could make to that thing I think.

I thought that if a valve is setup with PB and you put it in line with the factory PB kit it didn't need a separate tank return.

/ Deere 855 - third hydraulic function #10  
The PB kit essentially just adds a hose and connector to the fluid circuit. All fluid travels through the hose and connector at all times With that connector you can add anything you want in series as long as it uses an open center valve. Connect the valve inlet to the tractor pressure side and the valve outlet to the return.

By operating the remote valve fluid is diverted to operate your implement otherwise it flows back to the tank. That's how my dump trailer operates.

You could mount the remote valve on the fender instead of the implement. That's just a matter of hoses.

With the PB kit you MUST complete the circuit at all times. I. E. you need to connect the inlet and outlet together either directly or through a remote valve.