JD 4300 hydro drive 4

/ JD 4300 hydro drive 4 #1  

wrede

Bronze Member
Tractor
2001 J. Deere 4300
Oil leak from rear side of front axle pivot. Possibly leaking seal? How is pivot lubed? Axle oil? Possibly pinion seal bad. How difficult is axle assembly removal? How about seals?

Last edited:
   / JD 4300 hydro drive 4 #2  
What exactly do you mean by "front axle pivot", where the center of the axle mounts to tractor?

Here is a copy of the service manual, it will be of great assistance to you ;)
Tm1677 4200 4300 4400.pdf

/ JD 4300 hydro drive 4 #3  
Jordan,
I also have a leak in the front left side and downloaded the service manual. Thank you for providing that. Do you know where in that manual I can find a diagram of the assembly and seal so I can better understand what I am getting myself into before I pull my front end apart on my 4300?

/ JD 4300 hydro drive 4 #4  
/Where can I find an exploded view of this assembly for my 4300 front seal?

/ JD 4300 hydro drive 4 #5  
/Where can I find an exploded view of this assembly for my 4300 front seal?

www.jdparts.com

There is a quick tutorial linked in my sig if you need help with it. The same basic system the parts counter uses at the dealer...

/ JD 4300 hydro drive 4
The outer front axle seals are shown in the repair manual. There are two types in 2001, as they must have changed the design about then. It goes by serial number. One has a large stopnut holding the spindle assembly together. The other, like mine, had a snap ring. I assumed based on the description, that it would easily come apart. No! You'll need a hydraulic press, and it will take quite some force. I used a 20 ton press, and it was straining. I gave it a rap with a hammer, and it came apart. The new seals are different. The old one was a face seal, with the seal made between the seal and the shaft. The new one, though not explained, fits tight to both surfaces, and the seal is made between the two halves of the seal. A little ticklish to set it, but I have no more leaks. I was able to do it in less than 3 hours, first time around, including changing the oil and drilling out and removing a stripped plug on the bottom of the outer housing. It's metric. Within 2 months the other side leaked, and I had that done in less than 2 hours. I made a special breather plug to replace the dip stick, as I couldn't find a breather anywhere.

/ JD 4300 hydro drive 4 #7  
Can you help me identify this? What is this called 2013-07-08_20-23-02_591 (1).jpg
Front left
This is where I believe my leak is occurring.

/ JD 4300 hydro drive 4
That is the spindle housing and is shown on page 8-16 of the TM1677 technical manual. It explains that the final drive housing (the outer axle shaft assembly) has to be removed (the part I was mentioning earlier). I have not had the spindle apart, but it looks fairly easy, though you'll need access to a press. The entire front axle, left, middle, and right is one large oil reservoir. Have you checked oil level? Does it leak sitting, or only when running. I found that when running, the pressure built up in housing, as evidenced by a hissing noise when I checked the oil after running (engine off). I wondered if the pressure forced the oil past the seal.

/ JD 4300 hydro drive 4 #9  
I checked The front reservoir last night and it was low, or possibly empty. There was pressure when I removed the dipstick. I noticed the leak this weekend when the tractor was in my garage, but didn't notice if it had a leak when running or shutoff. Before I disassemble I was thinking of filling it back up to double check where it is leaking. I have to get some hydraulic oil to fill it back up first. I will hopefully try that tonight.
Thanks

/ JD 4300 hydro drive 4
It holds 7.4 quarts total. There are pipe plugs at the bottom of each final drive (5mm key, I think) as well as one under the center diiferential. You may want to check to see if you have any moisture in there, as when I drained it, the oil was milky.